Chapter 41

The next morning...
Tobias threw up about every ten to twenty minutes last night. It was exhausting. I barely slept at all. He keeps wanting to leave, but I at least got him to stay the night.

The door opens and the doctor walks in. "I need to leave." "Four, " I say, not wanting to let her know his name. "I see. I mean, we would like you to stay, but we cannot keep you against your will, " she replies. Tobias smiles faintly. "But we can't provide caretaking at your home, " she adds. He frowns. "Would you?" The doctor asks, looking at me.

Tobias looks at me with pleading eyes. I can tell he hates it here. "Fine, but can I at least use a wheelchair to get him there?" She nods. "Tris," Tobias says quickly. That's my cue for the bucket. I give it to him and he throws up into it.

"You need a lot of liquids and medicines, " she informs me, handing me a bag of stuff. I nod. She helps me get him in a wheelchair and I set the bag in his lap. I have to get him back before he throws up again.

We get back to his apartment and I shift him into the bed, his body shivering. Sweat coats his forehead, but I cover him anyway. He's already asleep, but probably won't be for very long.

Who can sub in for me at work? I'm not sending Shauna away, she's gonna give birth soon. I can't ask Uri because he has a bunch of meetings this week. That leaves...damn it. It leaves Eric. Fuuuuck. I guess I'll just have to call and ask.

I walk out of his bedroom and close the door behind me.
Tris=bold. Eric=italic
What do you want, Pedrad?
I need you to fill in for me for my candor trip.
Why the hell would I do that? I have my own work.
Please. You can have my money for it and I'll do your work.
Again, why?
Plus fifty points.
100.
60.
80
65
75
70.
Deal. When I get back.
Fine. Thanks.
He hangs up.
At least I get to stay with Tobias. I walk back into the room and see Tobias with puke all over the front of his shirt. "I'm so sorry. Why didn't you call me in?" I say, walking over and helping pull his shirt over his head.

"I didn't want to bug you, " he says and looks down at his bare chest. "You know that I don't care. I care more about you, " I say, walking over and throwing it in his empty laundry basket. He's gonna have to wash everything.

"You feeling any better?" He shakes his head weakly. "You have to go get ready for candor, " he says barely louder than a whisper. I shake my head and sit down on the bed next to his feet. "I'm not going." He shakes his head. "But you want to, " he replies. "I would rather be here with you." I put a hand on his shin.

His body tenses and I immediately grab the bucket. I try not to focus on the sound of him spilling his guts into a bucket as I hold it right in front of his face. "Okay, " he says and I set it back next to his bed.

"What did Max say?" I shrug and look down. "I had three options: go on the trip, be fired, or find another leader to go. I already made a deal with another leader, " I say and he looks intrigued. "With who?" "Eric, " I reply. "He gets the money from the trip, I do his work, and I owe him seventy points." He frowns.

"That's not fair. Go tell him that you'll go, " he says with more energy. "No. I'm staying here." There's a knock on the door and I glance at Tobias before going to answer it.

The whole gang stands at the door with food. "We went to the hospital, but they said you left, so here we are," Marlene says with a forced smile. "Didn't sleep much?" Zeke asks and I shake my head. "Come in, " I say, letting them in.

We all walk into his room and see him barely awake. I didn't clean his bucket before, so I grab it and take it to the bathroom. When I come out, Tobias is already asleep. I smile a bit. It hurts the least for him when he sleeps.