Bebita

I finally wrote a story with a transgender person. Yay.

I plucked a few cords on my guitar, tuning it perfectly by ear. I brushed some of my dark hair away from my eyes so I could see a little better. Once it was perfectly tuned, I played a small melody I had written. I hummed quietly along with it and swayed my head slightly.

“Samuelía!” my mamá called to me. “It’s time for supper, bebita!” I stopped strumming and got up, hiding my guitar safely under my bed before heading downstairs.

Dodging a train of three rambunctious boys, I leaned against the backrest of my assigned dinner chair as I watched my mamá set up the table for supper. When she finally noticed me, she gasped, jumping slightly and placing a hand on her chest.

“Ay ay ay, bebita, you scared me! I didn’t hear you come in!” She finished placing silverware on the table before heading into the kitchen to serve us our food.

“What’s for supper, Mamá?” one of my little brothers asked, looking over the counter at the freshly prepared food.

“Your favorite, niños! Tamales!” My brothers giggled, pushing each other to be the first one served. I didn’t say anything, just smiling faintly. I always loved my mamá’s cooking, but I think her tamales were the best.

Once Mamá was finished serving us, we all sat down to eat as a ‘family.’ Of course, our papá was nowhere to be found, and Mamá never talked about him.

“I heard noise coming from your room, bebita. You weren’t playing that awful guitar again, were you?” My mamá pulled me out of my thoughts. I decided to lie, shaking my head slightly and going back to my food.

“She was,” my stalker brothers squeaked. “We saw her!” Mamá sighed, shaking her head and letting out a quiet “ay ay ay” under her breath.

“Samuelía, we talked about this. The guitar is for niños, not niñas!” I ignored my mamá, picking at my food with my fork. This situation was starting to chase away my appetite.

“Samuelía!” Mamá demanded. “Look at me when I talk to you!” I didn’t. I just stood from the table and stormed to my room without a word, slamming the door as hard as I could before breaking out in tears.

I wiped my eyes, moving my long bangs around and messing up my hair. I looked at my tall, slender body in the mirror and thought about what it would be like to be a boy; to be able to play guitar and play in the mud whenever I wanted.

I searched my closet for the precious box I kept, full of my beloved papá’s belongings that he had left behind. I pulled out one of his old shirts and a pair of his old jeans. There was no doubt they would fit me, my body was built to look like my papá.

I changed into the set of clothes and looked in the mirror. The only thing wrong with my look was my hair. I picked up the pair of craft scissors from my desk and bundled my long hair into a ponytail. Taking the scissors, I cut my hair short. I even cut my bangs a little.

I looked exactly like papá, only a little shorter in height. I smiled slightly and peeked my head out from my room. Across the hall, I heard the familiar shouts of my brothers in their own room. I also heard the TV blare from downstairs. I snuck downstairs and out of the house, being as quiet as I could.

Walking down the street, I decided to head to the corner store, being it was only my first time in public as a boy. I walked in and the bell above the door alerted everyone already inside of my presents. Some people looked at me and others just ignored me.

“Samuelía?” the man behind the counter tilted his head at me. I shook my head and went up to the counter.

“It’s just Sam now.” I spoke quietly, my voice naturally a little deep. The man, Gabriel- my older brother- nodded a bit, still looking a bit confused.

“You look alot like Papá,” Gabe said. I nodded a bit, picking up a pack of grape gum from the counter. He smiled.

“So, how is Sam today?” I shrugged, opening the pack of gum and eating a piece.

“Is Mama treating you well?” I shook my head. “What? You two still aren’t getting along?” I shrugged.

“Did you at least try to patch things up?” I shook my head. Gabe sighed. “At least you’re being honest.”

I spent a little more time with Gabe before Mama started calling me.

“You should head back home,” Gabe said, ruffling my hair a bit. “Love you, bro.” I smiled and waved a goodbye to him before heading out of the store. Instead of going home, I walked around town a bit, earning whispers of gossip from the groups of girls I passed.

“Who’s the new kid?” one whispered to her friend. “I dunno. But he’s pretty cute.” Giggles erupted from the girl. I rolled my eyes slightly. I’m well known around town, I’m kinda surprised that they don’t recognize me. Well. I should prepare for school.

I finally made it home an angry Mama and three giggling triplets. I knew what was coming next.