If I Ever Find Her Again...

Haruhi was sitting alone in her room one Saturday evening, like she usually did. Her Father, Ryoji was still out working which meant she was completely alone. Although the girl was very beautiful, she didn't have many friends. She didn't seem to mind, though and was much more focused on her studies.

Maybe that was her problem.

The brunette sighed and set her pen (a strange writing device that a student had given to her). Her brain was absolutely fried, and she decided she needed a break. Needing to clear her head, she swam out of her home, not thinking about her destination.

Where exactly am I going, though? She asked herself, letting out a sharp gasp when she hit the surface. Was she... was this... the surface? Goodness, she hadn't been here in a while. She leaned her head on a rock, letting out a happy moan as the sun hit her just right. She hadn't felt this relaxed in a long while. Her eyes drooped closed and soon she was asleep, snoring lightly against the warmness of the rock.

"Look big brother!" A high-pitched voice sounded, "Come over here! Lookie, lookie, a mermaid!"

Haruhi rubbed her eyes and gasped at the sight of a small toddler tugging a hooded man forcefully over to her, "Do ya see her?"

"Yes..." The hooded man said in an unsettling tone, sending chills up the mermaid's spine, "Yes Kirimi, I do."

Before she knew it, he was tugging at her hair.

"What are you doing, big brother?" The little girl asked fearfully.

"They say that even a strand of mermaid hair can produce the strongest of transformation curses."

"Let go, you idiot!" She shouted, grabbing a sharp rock from nearby and cutting off her hair, "Now get the hell away from me, alright?"

The hooded man bowed, "My apologies. I got caught up in my own fowl intentions."

There was a soft whimper that made them turn their heads. The poor toddler was crying and waded into the water. She held her hands out and Haruhi grabbed her and pulled her in a reassuring hug, "I'm alright Kirimi-chan."

"Miss Mermaid... are you sure? He was tugging at your pretty hair so hard..."

"Yes, I'm sure. You don't need to worry."

The little blonde girl smiled gratefully, "Okay, good!" She sighed in relief, pecking Haruhi on the cheek before she ran off with her big brother.

The brunette smiled and waved goodbye to the young girl, "What a cute kid." She said to herself, stretching out her arms before deciding to go back home.

As she turned, though someone grabbed her hand. Slowly, the brunette turned around and stared into the eyes of a mysterious looking blonde.

"A mermaid?" He muttered, "Have you seen... a mermaid?"

"Huh?" Haruhi asked, confused.

"I heard Kirimi talking to a mermaid. "

"Congratulations." The brunette answered with a annoyed roll of her chocolate colored eyes.

"This is no laughing matter, young man!"

Man?

Haruhi felt the tips of her shortened hair. She realized why the blonde was confused, because with her new look she probably did come off as boyish.

"Okay, okay, geez." She said, "Want to tell me what the hell is going on?"

"I heard... that Kirimi- chan saw a mermaid." He repeated, "And I... I'm looking for one."

"Yes." She answered, "I've seen many. You're going to have to be more specific there."

He nodded, "Yes, yes of course."

"... And you'll have to let go of my arm. It's starting to sting."

"Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't realize..."

"It's cool." She shook her wrist once he let go, rubbing it gently, "Now, how can I help you?"

"My name is Tamaki Suoh and last year, a mermaid saved my life." He stated, and the brunette instantly tensed up. She knew exactly who he was talking about.

Her.

Still though, she listened to his explanation and waited patiently once he was done, "Yes." She answered, "I know the merl you're talking about. She happens to be one of my closest friends."

"Really?" He asked, sounding thrilled.

"Yes, really. Unfortunately, she does not come to the surface often. She's stubborn too, so I'm afraid there is no way to convince her."

He sniffled for a second, then burst into a flood of tears. The brunette stared at him in awe, frowning as he sat in an isolated corner.

She couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor guy. He had been searching for her ever since their encounter and she was starting to wonder if she should confess the truth.

"It's okay..." He sniffled, wiping a tear from his eye, "Although it pains me, I understand." Tamaki smiled, "Thank you very much though, sir. I hope one day, though that me and Merma-chan could meet again."

Merma- chan.

She hadn't been called that in a while.

"Well, best of luck Tamaki." The brunette said with a genuine smile, "I hope you find her someday."

"I hope so too." He sighed, "Now, what do I call you?"

"Haruhi."

"Haruhi..." The blonde said, "Isn't that more of a girl's name?"

"It's gender neautral." The brunette said, letting out an exhausted sigh of her own. Tamaki raised an eyebrow, "Is something wrong?"

"No, nothing. I've just had a long day and I need some rest. That's why I came up here, it's so relaxing to take a nap under the sun..."

"Ah, I see." The blonde smiled down at the girl, "Well, I'll take my leave. It was a pleasure to meet you, Haruhi. Hopefully our paths cross again soon."

Yeah, I doubt it.

Even so, she nodded and flashed a happy smile, waving goodbye to the boy before leaving for home.

Haruhi would never return to the surface again.

Not if Tamaki was searching for her. She couldn't deal with ridiculous humans like him. It was such a pointless adventure, searching for someone that you couldn't even recognize. That only meant one thing; she didn't matter to Tamaki as much as he thought she did.

What a pointless search.

Ridiculous, even.

Yes, she would never be going up there again.