Part 4

The night of the ball...

Cinderella watched in excitement as her step family members danced in their dresses. She watched as they prepared to leave. Their coats and hats in toe.

"May I come you you?"

All three of them turned to face her. Stunned by her words and irritated.

"Cinderella, you can't be serious? You have no dress and you look like a dish cloth!"

Her step sisters burst out laughing at their mother words.

Cinderella tried to held back her tears.

"DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!"

She turned and went outside along with her two daughters.

Cinderella looked out the living room window as they entered into their buggy.

Going to the ball would be a miracle.

***

The ball was going wonderfully. The castle had never looked so decadent and elegant.

"Thank you Stephen. You did an excellent job with the decorations."

Stephen notice that his brother was a little annoyed.

James went to the balcony and looked down at all the ladies who were starting to arrive.

"James, is something wrong?"

"I am just thinking that's all."

"Of what?"

"The one."

"I'm sure she'll be here."

"I hope so. Or else the rest of these ladies will be bitten from."

Stephen companion came and kissed his cheek.

"Hello James, don't worry you'll meet the girl you desire tonight. I'm sure of it."

James closed his eyes and prayed that he would.

***

Cinderella decided to go rest until he step mother and sisters returned. She was still sadden that she couldn't go to the ball. She wish that their was some way that she could. Suddenly their was a knock on the basement door which lead to the backyard.

Cinderella answered the door and was met with a girl who had a long dress and had a ethereal look.

"Hello. My name is Dina."

"Hello? Can I help you?"

"On the contrary, I'm here to help YOU. I'm going to send you to the costume ball."

Cinderella was astounded. "How?"

"Just watch and see."

Dina giggled as she came inside and gazed at the table of vegetables. She waved her hand and gathered up the vegetables. Cinderella gasped as she saw them hovering in the air. Dina led the vegetable to the backyard and they transformed into a buggy with wheels and horses.

Cinderella began to wonder what this magical girl was. "Are you a witch?"

"I've been called many things. Now, we need to change you out of those clothes."

She waved her hand and Cinderella tattered clothes turned in a beautiful white and and glitter gown.

Cinderella was speechless, her prayer of going to the ball was coming true. Dina led Cinderella outside as they walked to the buggy.

She hugged Dina and went inside her buggy. Dina held the door and signaled for her to wait.

"Remember one thing. You must leave the ball before midnight."

"Okay. I'll remember. Thank you again Dina."

Dina smiled.

"Any time Cinderella. Enjoy the party."

The horses nay as the driver rode Cinderella off to the castle.

***

James met and said hello to every maiden he encountered. None of the ladies were what he'd hope. None which "the one" for him. Once he met the step sisters of Cinderella he saw them as nothing but fools.

James went back to the balcony and looked out across the night sky.

"Could she be out there?" James said to himself.

The buggy drove Cinderella to the front entrance of the Masons castle. She stepped out of the buggy and was greeted by the footman.

James glanced down to notice Cinderella and he was amazed. He had never seen a more beautiful maiden in his life.

He hurried down to the foyer and waited for her.

She bowed as did he.

"Hello miss."

"Hello good sir."

"May I take your hand."

"Yes."

He took her hand and led her inside. Stephen smiled as he saw the look on his brother's face. Cinderella step family members were shocked and appalled seeing James with her. Not recognizing that it was Cinderella herself.

Cinderella and James bowed and started to dance. During their dance James and Cinderella wondered why they looked so familiar to each other.

"Have I met you before?"

"I do not think so sir."

As James and Cinderella danced, she remember why he looked so familiar. He was the same man she met that day by the water well. 

They danced and laughed all throughout the night. James knew within his heart that this was the companion he would have by his side.

Later that evening he took her to the garden and they rested near the water fountain.

"That's a beautiful water fountain made of stone."

"Yes, it reminds me of the water well down in the valley."

Cinderella smiled hearing James mention the water well.

He picked a flower from the bush beside him and handed it to her. She smelled it and smiled as James took her free hand and kissed it.

The attraction between them was very strong. Each side glance, smirk, compliment, and joke were telltale signs of what would lead to a kiss.

James had fallen madly in love, and it was at first sight. He wanted to bite into her neck and make her his vampire companion. 

He moved close to her and pulled her close to his chest. He admired her exposed neck and the heat and colour in his eyes turned crimson.  

Cinderella couldn't believe that she was falling in love with a man she'd just met. She closed her eyes and parted her lips for him. 

James tilted her head and was about to bite into her neck when the clock dong.

"OH MY!"

"What is it?"

"What time is it now?"

"Its midnight my dear."

"I must leave!"

"Why?"

"I cannot tell you."

"What's wrong?"

She started to run from him and he hurried after her.

"Wait, don't leave in a hurry! Come back!"

Cinderella ran down the stairs of the front entrance, leaving behind one of her glass slippers.

Once James reached the entrance he was too late. She had gone, the girl of his dreams.