Chapter 20

TOBIAS POV

Some part of my mind is here, on this train, but a predominant part is yearning to turn back.

The more clicks I hear signals that we have moved farther from where I want to be. Sighing, I watch the city pass, expecting to see fights broken out on the streets that are not there. At least, not yet.

I loathe the way we left things, the way I left things, as if I haven't learned my lesson. Tris is obstinate; she stands her ground no matter what, and sometimes I love her for it. But we cannot afford to leave on a hostile note in times like these, when there is no certainty that either of us will return safely.

I do not believe that anything will happen to Zeke and I today. We are taking the Dauntless-run train in broad daylight—though I suppose that does not mean much anymore. If this was not worth it then I would not risk it, but there is too much at stake to not try.

"Four?"

Zeke snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I say.

"We're here."

I nod and turn to face the doorway. He smacks his palm on the button that makes the doors slide open, revealing the rows of gray buildings and dull neighborhoods that made up my childhood.

As soon as a patch of dead grass appears, the train decelerates, allowing us a chance to jump. He goes first, and I follow right after. For the first time in a while, a pang shoots up through the back of my leg at the impact. I stumble almost unnoticeably.

"You good?" Zeke asks.

"Yes," I confirm, clicking the safety off of the gun tucked away in my waistband. "Let's just get this over with."

It is quite disconcerting that the factionless have not yet overrun Abnegation. I expect to run into them at each corner we turn, but there are only the occasional women going about their chores or children chasing each other despite the fact that they might be frostbitten. Even more frightening, they seem oblivious to the fact that Zeke and I carry semi-automatic rifles on our backs. Abnegation's trust in man's goodwill is borderline stupid.

"Every time I come here, I get a bad feeling," he comments. "And I have only been here twice."

I agree. For me, this place holds memories of being invisible and my mother's pleas and sobs and nights of clutching onto anything within my reach as my father's belt came down on my back. Naturally, I have a sinking feeling each time I return, but I didn't know it was something that others felt.

"Tell me about it," I say.

Abnegation headquarters was always a large building to me, with my sheltered experience. Now, as an adult, I note just how cramped and short it looks from the outside as we approach. I can't imagine it is much better inside; I confirm that when we walk in.

Several government officials are gathered in the main discussion space, neatly sitting on each bench. A council member at the podium leads them, and his placid face is vaguely memorable, but like the rest of the faction, I can't place his name.

"Gentlemen, this is an Abnegation leaders' meeting," he says calmly. "I must politely ask you to leave."

Oddly enough, as soon as he talks, I notice Marcus himself sitting in the front corner of the room. Anger flares up inside of me when I recall the things he said to Tris about her parents. I point him out.

"Then why is he here?" I retort.

I receive a menacing glare from my father that is only apparent in his eyes, and I laugh in my own head. The councilman at the podium passively explains, "Mr. Eaton was a council member for a long time. We often rely on his expertise."