Chapter 2: Practice and Work Outs

I thought I had gotten over the feelings I had for Zen already. After all, it was just a little crush.

Oh, how wrong I was.

I make it to practice early. We are going to do a cold read of all the lines, then run through the songs once. I pull my script out of my bag and sit in one of the seats, waiting for instructions from the director.

We are to perform in one month, so we are expected to have everything memorized and have rough blocking down by the end of this week. I come fully memorized to make sure I didn't have any issues.

I spray the perfume I have set for the play on myself while I wait. I always have one perfume dedicated to one show so it will help associate the show with the scent.

I toy with my aventurine necklace, one that I decided to wear for confidence. As a believer in the energy crystals give off, I always have one somewhere on me.

"Hey, pretty lady," Zen says in a flirtatious tone. I turn around and leap to my feet, startled.

"Zen! You can't scare me like that," I say with a grin. While distracted with my necklace, Zen snuck up behind me. He smiles back, causing my heart to flutter.

"Sorry, MC, I didn't expect you to be so oblivious to the world around you," he teases. "Are you ready for our first practice?"

I nod. "I have all of my lines and songs down already," I say.

His eyes widen with shock. "Already? You are intense, MC."

"You gotta be in some aspects. Like you are with your appearance," I say. "I don't like to accept roles if I can't memorize everything within a couple days of getting the role."

"Doesn't not having any physical practice with the rest of the cast make memorization difficult?" He asks.

I shake my head. "My secret is perfume. I have a lot for individual scripts."

We both sit down and talk about our odd theatre habits until it is time for practice to start.

The assistant director calls for everyone to sit in a circle on the stage, scripts in hand, for the cold read of only the lines. Doing just the lines will be very short, since most of the shows lines are sung.

I enjoy the cold read. I have a lot of fun during my favorite scene, where Mabel talks to the policemen. Since I played Sergeant in my high school production of Pirates of Penzance, I enjoyed acting the scene with a different role.

We finish the cold read quickly, since there are only a few actual lines in the show. The assistant director ask for the techs to cue the practice music, since the orchestra needs another week to become proficient enough in the music to play for them. The opening song, Pour O' Pour the Pirate Sherry, starts to play from the speakers around us.

We are singing it with each person singing only their parts, so I don't have to do anything much for some time. It's lovely hearing the other singers. I particularly enjoy Zen's singing, but everyone else is also a wonderful singer. The director chose a great group for the show.

Hearing everyone else singing makes me a bit nervous. My part is coming, and I'm scared they won't enjoy my voice. My voice is very strong and very distinct. I don't know if it is a good fit for the role.

"Yes, one!" I sing, my fears washing away as I see Zen's reaction. He has heard me sing before, yet he still reacts as if it is his first time, with a smile. Is that a blush I see?

No, stop, MC. If it is a blush, it's due to the scene. It's not because of me, it's because of my character saying she will love him.

I launch into my song, Poor Wandering One, easily hitting each note on time. I feel eyes on me, watching. This is the kind of reaction I live for.