Chapter 4: More Than Play Practice

I have always enjoyed theatre, and now that I do it professionally, I live my dream every day. But never in my life have I been more excited for play practice than I am today.

I'm excited because of Zen.

Practice starts off smoothly. We are to be getting into blocking today. The assistant director explains to us how the stage will look and requests help to move some risers around. A few people, including Zen and I, jump up to help.

We move in the risers and position them, along with a set of stairs. The risers extend to just in front of the audience. This gives us more room to dance around and gives the daughters a more interesting entrance.

The directors assistant pulls out a blocking map and has us memorize where we will be for the first ten sets. I don't have my entrance until part sixteen, so I go and sit in the audience for the time being.

I enjoy watching everyone run the show with blocking. We are now able to put actions to our words, which will make memorization for those who aren't fully done much easier.

Finally, we get to the part where I enter. Everything goes smoothly. We finish up all of act one and are dismissed for the day. We will finish up the show tomorrow, then we'll begin to work on fine blocking as we do full run-throughs.

As I pack up my things, I feel a tap on my shoulder. It's Zen. I turn around and greet him with a smile.

"Practice went well," he says. "What did you think?"

"I like the assistant director," I say. "I've noticed that she is really good with keeping everyone on task."

He nods. "I agree, I felt like there wasn't any lag during practice."

"So, what's up?" I ask, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"I was wondering if you would like to go out for lunch," he says with a grin. "My treat, of course."

"Only if it's my treat," I say. "You paid last time, remember?"

"As a gentleman would!"

I throw my bag over my shoulder. "Well, let the lady do it this time, then I'll let you next time." I extend my hand. "Deal?"

He thinks for a moment, then sighs and shakes my hand. "Deal. But, that means it's your choice on where we go."

I shake my head. "No way, you're the one inviting me out."

He let out a squeal like noise. "You're killing me, MC!"

"Not before a performance I'm not!" We start walking to the exit.

"Well, we could go to a small pizza place I know around here," he says after some time. "Could get a pizza to share."

"Mmm, grease and fat. Let's go!"

After ordering, we sit down at a table hidden back in the sunroom. The room has a half wall sectioning off the regular area from the sunroom. There are potted and hanging plants throughout the room. It's a pleasant room to be in, especially with the sun shining through the windows and ceiling.

"So, my dear Frederic," I say. "Tell me about roles you've played before."

"I've been a lot," Zen admitted. "I'll tell you my favorites. Have you ever seen the production of 'The Jalapeno Topping was Very Spicy?'"

"I was in it once," I say, "I believe you were the guy we got to chain up topless?"

"So we've met before!" he exclaims. "I can't believe I have been so career focused as to miss such a pretty face!"

"I'm much more than a pretty face," I tease. His face goes red.

"I didn't mean for it to sound like that! You are very talented, and I am very glad to work with you - "

"I'm teasing, Zen," I say. "You also are much more than a pretty face. You've got a good soul."

He smiles. "Thank you, MC. And thank you for lunch as well."

"No problem!" I say. "I like spending time with you." I set my hand on top of his. "You're... very fun to be around. I've enjoyed every moment spent with you."

We sit that way for a few minutes, a comfortable silence falling between us.

"Order for MC," we hear over the speakers.

Zen retracts his hand and stands up. "I'll go get the pizza."

I close the door of my home, thoughts filling my head. I touched his hand in the middle of public. What if someone saw? No, nobody was there. What if I was too forward? What even is too forward? I don't even understand my feelings for him, why would I do that?

Calm down, MC. He probably thought it was just a friendly gesture.

But what if he didnt?

I pinch the bridge of my nose. Time for a jog.

I change into running clothes and open my door. I look to my feet and see a bouquet of flowers at my feet.

I pick up the bouquet and examine the flowers. There are twelve thornless roses and a card.

To: More than a pretty face

I apologize if this is too forward. Will you come with me tomorrow

for ice cream? My turn to pay.

~Good soul

I smile reading the card. Maybe my jog could wait. I snap a photo of the bouquet and text it to Zen, along with a quick yes.