Chapter Three

Kyoya glanced over at Shinji who was mumbling things under his breath as he read his book. They both sat in the library of the Sasaki mansion, in the far back corner. Where Shinji had made a pallet for himself to lay on, Kyoya just took the couch.

It amused Kyoya how fast Shinji had grown on him. How it really only took a few weeks for Shinji to wiggle out of his comfort zone. Shinji still had his quiet moments, but it wasn't always Kyoya now starting the conversations.

The reason they were at Shinji's house and not Kyoya's was simple, Shinji's parents are always gone. It may sound like a joke, but from what Kyoya had learned, they're never home. Kyoya supposed that's good because then they could hang out without getting caught. Even though they're friends, their parents are still rivals. Something Kyoya finds annoying now, hearing his father talk about them the way he does.

"Kyoya~!" Shinji sang covering his face with his book and flopping over. "I'm so bored~"

"I don't see how that's my problem."

Shinji shot him the angry glare Kyoya has grown to enjoy. It was something he liked about Shinji. His way of showing his feelings through expressions.

"Well... what do you want to do?"

Kyoya stared at Shinji. His eyes studied each feature that popped out to him. His small nose, to his big circular glasses. He still had chubby cheeks, and a few freckles scattered his cheeks, though they were really light. Then there were his lips. Kyoya felt his heart become airless at the thought of those soft looking lips. Like clouds. Floating through the sky on a windy day.

"Whatever you want to do," Kyoya whispered looking away from the boy. Pushing his glasses up, hoping his blush wasn't noticeable.

"We could go outside," Shinji said standing up. He wore an oversized light blue sweater and light pink shorts. Clothes that Kyoya hoped were pajamas and not Shinji's thought fashion was.

"Sure," Kyoya said standing up and following the short boy.

Kyoya watched Shinji play with flowers that were scattered around him. He sat crisscrossed, wearing a pair of pastel blue socks. He looked like a kid, full of innocents and curiosity. Kyoya sat across from him, also crisscrossed, but not as relaxed. Mostly because of the thoughts he's been having lately.

He tried remembering what Shinji was like in the past. Before he ever saw him as a friend. He was as lonely and quiet. More clumsy though. He didn't go a day without tripping over his untied shoes.

Shinji was only eleven-ish when Kyoya found him interesting. Kyoya saw the boy in a big oversized hoodie over his school uniform. He was singing a song as he tied his shoes, like the child he was. The way he seemed so out of the world was amazing to Kyoya. He seemed so free. Painting out of the lines.

Now they're both thirteen soon to be 14, and about to be 3rd years in middle school. He finally gets to see what the free-spirited short boy is like up close.

"You want to make mud?" Kyoya deadpanned. I still don't know if I made the right choice? He thought as he watched the boy jump up and skip around. He reminded Kyoya of a deer... a deer on lots of sugar. In only a matter of seconds though, the short brunet was no longer standing. His foot placed itself wrong, and Shinji had fallen.

A few inches away from the pond, luckily. Letting out a sigh of relief, he began standing up. Only to feel his hand slip in some mud, and there he then began to fall again, only this time into the little pond.

Laughter filled the air. A loud, deep laugh. Shinji moved his wet hair out of his eyes to see Kyoya laying on his back laughing. His laughter was deep like he was trying to hold it back in his throat. Shinji frowned slightly.

"It wasn't that funny," Shinji pouted. But found himself not able to hold back the smile from Kyoya's laughter. A minute passed and Kyoya had calmed down just a little. He was now standing at the edge of the pond, staring at Shinji with a look of amusement and disappointment.

"I guess you got what you were asking for," he stuck his hand out for the boy. A big smug look still on his face. Shinji smirked though, confusing him. He was about to pull away until Shinji's hand latched onto his. Shinji stuck his tongue out, then yanked his arm.

Before Kyoya knew it, he was under water. Then back on the surface. Gasping for air.

"You ass!" He yelled.

"You've got some water there," Shinji chuckled poking his nose. Kyoya glared at the boy. A smug look now on the brown-haired face. "I'm sorry," he whispered, trying to erase the smile, but didn't succeed.

"You're such a child," Kyoya mumbled climbing out of the water. Shinji following after.

They stood in silence as Kyoya tried drying off.

"Shinji, I got you and your friend a fresh pair of clothing." Shinji threw a thumbs up towards his butler. Then looked back at Kyoya.

"I'm sorry." This time, it sounded real. But Kyoya couldn't help and feel a little peeved. But, he should have known the short boy wasn't going to take no for an answer. A pair of arms wrapped around him from behind. He felt Shinji lay his head on his back. "I was just so bored."

Kyoya laughed at the last statement. Shinji laughed too. "I forgive you." Kyoya pat Shinji's hand.

"Good." Shinji let go and allowed Kyoya to turn towards him. Shinji stared at him, his brown eyes squinting up at him. What? Kyoya thought, wanting to ask. But before he could, Shinji pushed him and yelled, "race you to the house!" Kyoya let out a laugh. He felt out of breath already but began sprinting behind Shinji anyways.

Perhaps I did make the right choice...

(... So... I think my chapters may be a bit too long... I like writing long chapters for some reason, I'm really sorry if you don't like long chapters...)