CHAPTER VI: Trials & Tribulations (1)

At 5:30, the alarm began to blare out; pulsing in time with my scabbing wounds. I grunted and reached for the alarm, throwing it across the nasty object across the room. It wasn't bought with my money, so not my issue. On the bedside drawer lay the latest liquid painkiller from District Two.

The cheek of that bastard.

}}«»«»«»---------------::::::|:|::::::---------------«»«»«»{{

Snow leaned back in his office chair, studying me on the other side of a desk.

His gaze cold and nostalgic. My feelings even more so.

Eventually a smile wormed its way on to his lips "It's been some time since we last spoke."

"Quite."

Despite my curt tone, he persisted.

"And when I do see you again, I have to save you from your own foolishness."

"Foolishness?" I hissed, "I struggle to understand how wanting to save a child's life is 'foolish'."

He stood up to pace along the length of the window behind him.

"You believe that volunteering on her behalf will stop her from being drawn again?"

Oh.

He has a point there. What was my aim in doing that?

Doubt clouded over, I responded cautiously, "I-it's better than sitting there and watching her die, she's... a friend."

"And instead I lose my Godchild and break my promise to your father."

No words came to mind. But hope sprang to heart.

"I don't have to die, I'm hurt you assume I'll go down so pathetically." I remarked.

He chuckled "No, I do not; you're a Pheoneye, you had a plan already formulated as soon as you got on that train."

"Old habits die hard, right?"

For the first time in years, my Godfather and I shared a laugh. The playful old man that raised me was still in there, thankfully.

"Care to explain it to me?"

Well... at least I could say I didn't fail to try.

"I hoped that you could..."

Brave face, (Y/n).

"Could pull Katniss Everdeen from the Games?"

Car horns screeched in the background. The city chorus sung in full force. Snow stayed quiet.

"No. "

"What?" I growled, "That's all you can say, no?"

"I have an image to maintain, (Y/n); pulling you out would be understandable but taking an average Tribute out? Unthinkable, nothing but chaos can spawn from that."

Calmness radiated off him. As if he declined a cup of mint tea.

"Your image is worth more than human life?"