CHAPTER VII: Trials & Tribulations (2)

A/N
There's this chrome app called Interactive Fics. For computer users, it allows you to replace placeholder names with whatever you want i.e (Y/n) (L/n) is replaced with Victoria McKnight. Check it out if you rather see your own name instead of Y/n.

}}«»«»«»---------------------------::::::«|:|»::::::---------------------------«»«»«»{{

Two days flashed by and the dreaded Private Training Session day arrived. Despite the current anxiety on everyone's faces, I hoped that all would do well. Ever since "the fight", all the non-Career Tributes had shown off to or intimidated the Career Pack.

D-10 flaunted their axe skills, D-4 wielded their tridents and nets with confidence. Those who came form Districts with specialties that were not useful in combat flocked to the blade wielding teachers.

Rue followed us since then and even demonstrated stealing Cato's knife again.

Peeta chuckled,"You're gonna get in trouble eventually."

Rue tapped her nose, "Only if I get caught."

"I like you." Katniss approved and Rue smirked.

But I digress.

All 12 Districts united in anxiousness, waited outside the Evaluation Room. The anxiety was like being hooked up to a cattle fence - not enough voltage to kill but sufficient to keep things uncomfortable. The slaughterers were sitting jovially on the other side of the blasted door next to us. Our breaths halted when a Peacekeeper called:

"Marvel Acacius, District One; the Gamemakers are ready to see you."

His partner Glimmer followed after him, 15 minutes later. Then Cato. Then Clove and so on.

Rue sat beside me shaking from head to toe, pitifully trying to quell her fears. I rubbed her shoulder causing the curly-haired girl to hide in my side. Her laboured breathing subdued.

Sneakers scuffed the floor. Anxious huffs blew out every other 45 seconds. Jaws clenched for every name that was called up.

"Rue Oriana, District Eleven, the Gamemakers are ready to see you."

The girl in question rubbed her sweaty palms on her thighs.

"Hey, listen, kiddo."

She turned to me gulping down thick saliva and dread.

"If those fat cats in their make you think that you'll flop in their, remember that a few hours ago, you were nicking knives from Careers like nobody's business, what do their fake wigs got on you?"

A little more confident and with a few nods of good luck from my partners, Rue slipped into the room.

15 minutes later the young girl emerged, shaking but otherwise alright.

Then I heard:

"(Y/n) Pheoneye."

As the oldest out of the D-12 Tributes, I went first. I glanced at Peeta and Katniss, they gave weak encouraging smiles.

Jaw clenched, I went in.

}}«»«»«»---------------------------::::::«|:|»::::::---------------------------«»«»«»{{

Hearty laughter and incessant murmuring silenced itself when I entered.

Shivers crawled up my spine as every atom in my body was analysed by rich snobs. But with my head held high a took a black cloth and a sword and entered the Simulation Chamber.