What it means to be human

"How do I look?"

Alice asked and twirled.

"Like the baby prostitute."

Her male best friend answered and she smiled sourly.

"Just the look I was going for."

She replied sarcastically.
Alice was wearing a tight black dress and a pair of heels. She never wore heels but Damon made her do it.

Correction. He promised that he would buy her a chocholate if she wore heels.

Fair enough.

➖➖➖

"Hey."

Caroline's dad greeted his daughter.

"Hey."

She answered softly.

"Your first day regionals."

The man commented as he studied the picture on the bedside table.

"Yup. I was afraid to join the squad. You talked me into it."

The blondie remembered.

"Oh, you got nothing to be afraid of. You're so much better than all those other crew."

The blondie laughed softly. Bill always knew how to make her feel better. Her dad sat on the bed and she looked at him, worry plastered on her face.

"How are you feeling?"

She asked, her voice barely audible.

"I'm tired."

He said while staring at the wall behind her. Tears were welling in Caroline's sad eyes as she looked at her father.

"Uh... can I get you anything?"

She asked hopefully and he knew what was she thinking about. Blood. If he doesn't feed, he will die. Her world was falling apart, while just thinking about it.

"Or... uh, do you want me to call Steven?"

"No, no. We haven't spoken in a while, just... call him when it's over and the dust is settled, would you?"

She nodded her head sadly. Tears were steaming down her face.
Caroline sighed and chrouched in front of him. She took his cold hands and looked him at the eyes.

"Listen. Listen to me."

She tried to laugh away her tears, but that didn't stop them from falling.

"I know that you think that you made your choice, but you can change your mind. You know, you are strong enough to handle being a vampire. I mean you're the strongest person that I know-"

"Caroline, my strenght is all in my beliefs. Becoming a vampire is wrong if I'm not supposed to cheat a death. It's just what I believe. Please respect that."

Her tears were mixing with anger as she stood up.

"God! Uh! Wha- How can you hate who I am so much?!"

He stood up and calmly took her hands.

"No, no, no. Sweetie I don't hate you. I love you. You're strong. You're beautiful. You're good!"

She started shaking and crying even more.

"And even after everything that has happened to you, you are exactly who your mother and I hoped you would grow up to be."

Her sad gaze was lingering on his face. She was trying to memorise everything about her father, because, in the worst possible scenario, memories will be all she has left.