Who is a Corps Member?

A Corps Member or Youth Corper is a Nigerian who has graduated from a higher institution called by the government to serve the country for a year. It's mandatory for every graduate and you are only excepted if you are 30 years and above.

So what led to the creation of the Nigerian Youth Service Corps? Back in 1967 after the end of the Nigerian Civil War, the then government headed by Gen Yakubu Gowon decided that Nigeria needed to be united again if we wanted lasting peace.

So in 1973, he created the NYSC. He hoped having the youths of different tribes in different parts of the country will do just that. They are expected to mix with people from different ethnic groups, and social and family backgrounds, and learn the culture of the indigenes in the location they are posted to.

Before the start of the service year, there is an orientation camp of three weeks spent in a military-controlled "camp". There is also a "passing out ceremony" at the end of the three weeks orientation camp after which corp members are posted to their Place of Primary Assignment (PPA).

They are expected to work as full-time staff at their PPA with exception of one working day devoted to the execution of community development service (CDS). After eleven months at their PPA, corp members are allowed one month of vacation before their final passing out ceremony where they would be issued certificates of completion. Without this certificate, employers are not allowed to give graduates a job.

The objectives of the National Youth Service Corps Scheme are clearly enumerated in Decree No.51 of 16th June 1993 as follows:

To inculcate discipline in Nigerian youths by instilling in them a tradition of industry at work, and of patriotic and loyal service to Nigeria in any situation, they may find themselves.

To raise the moral tone of the Nigerian youths by giving them the opportunity to learn about higher ideals of national achievement, social and cultural improvement

To develop in the Nigerian youths the attitudes of mind, acquired through shared experience and suitable training, which will make them more amenable to mobilization in the national interest.

To enable Nigerian youths to acquire the spirit of self-reliance by encouraging them to develop skills for self-employment.

To contribute to the accelerated growth of the national economy.

To develop common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration.

To remove prejudices, eliminate ignorance and confirm at firsthand the many similarities among Nigerians of all ethnic groups.

To develop a sense of corporate existence and common destiny of the people of Nigeria.

The equitable distribution of members of the service corps and the effective utilization of their skills in areas of national needs.

That as far as possible, youths are assigned to jobs in States other than their States of origin.

That such group of youths assigned to work together is as representative of Nigeria as far as possible.

That the Nigerian youths are exposed to the modes of living of the people in different parts of Nigeria.

That the Nigerian youths are encouraged to eschew religious intolerance by accommodating religious differences.

That members of the service corps are encouraged to seek at the end of their one-year national service, career employment all over Nigeria, thus promoting the free movement of labour

Those employers are induced partly through their experience with members of the service corps to employ more readily and on a permanent basis, qualified Nigerians, irrespective of their States of origin.

So here is a list of slang you need to know before you dive in.

Otondo is mostly used by soldiers to describe someone that's unsure of what to do and or someone who is new at something.

Ajuwaya: "As you were."  It's a military term used to put soldiers at ease after they have been standing at attention. The term has come to be synonymous with Youth Corpers.‎

Corper: An informal way of addressing a corps member.

CLO:- Corps Liaison Officer. This is a corps member who was made the 'head' of other corpers posted under a certain Local Government Area.

SAED:- Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development. This is a program set up by the government to provide skills to corpers enabling them to start businesses after their service year.

Platoon:- In camp, Corps Members are split into 10 groups; each group is called a platoon. The platoon is numbered from 1 to 10, eg platoon 1, platoon 2, etc.

POP:- Passing Out Parade. This occurs at the end of the service year. It is celebrated with pomp.

Seven over seven (7/7): This implies dressing in full NYSC attire; the cap, crested vest, khaki shirt, belt, khaki trousers, socks, and jungle boot.

Family House: This is a lodge that has been organized by religious bodies like the Muslim Corpers Association of Nigeria, Nigerian Christian Corpers Fellowship, and NACC.

OBS: Orientation Broadcasting Service:  This is one of the groups you will find in the orientation camp that are in charge of disseminating information.

Book of Life: This is a book in the orientation camp and at the secretariat where you will be required to fill in your details.

Double up:- This is military slang. In camp, Soldiers will ask you to 'double up' when they want you to run faster. ‎

State co-ordinator:  This is the overall head of NYSC in a state. He/she is in charge of all NYSC affairs in the state.

ZI: Zonal Inspector: He/she is in charge of the corps members posted to his/her zone. A zone consists of some LGs. 

LI: Local government inspector: He/she is in charge of the corps members posted to his/her local government.