Mutual Understanding.

A/n: I changed the male MC to Maximus for any readers who have this story in their library

...

"So are you two dating, we are starting to assume he's gay." Andrick, René's Father spoke seriously from the driver's seat of the car, just as everyone had gotten inside. We were having small chatter, as the evening came to its end.  Lila was dozing off, fighting to stay awake as her head rested upon René's shoulder. It was quite adorable.

Andrick and his wife had insisted on driving me back home since it was already quite late. I wasn't fully accustomed to my new living arrangement yet, deciding I would've liked to stay home in the weekends.

My eyes reconnected with Andrick's, through the rear-view mirror and I caught the playful expression. I didn't think René noticed when I smiled and decided to play along. "Yeah René, are you? I'm starting to think you are actually."

I turned my head to look at him, if anything he seemed more amused than anything. "I'm only gay for that Maximus guy, he's hot." My smile disappeared slightly as I recalled him chatting up the woman back in the restaurant. They seemed rather close, and she was beautiful. I shook my head, slightly disappointed.

"Maximus?" Andrick inquired, wanting more details.

"Yeah Maximus MacQuoid, it's like her boyfriend, not her boyfriend kind of." René nudged my sides, and for I didn't want him to notice my discomfort I laughed slightly, nudging him back.

"Maximus MacQuoid, Bartholomew's son?" Renata turned her head towards her husband, an expression of realisation covering her features. "He's lovely, well behaved and well mannered." She explained.

"Well excuse me." I heard from beside me, everyone began to laugh, apart from Lila who was already fast asleep and myself. My face scrunched up in confusion not knowing they had acquainted before. "Bartholomew MacQuoid is a shareholder of our law firm in the States. What a small world sometimes."

My eyes drifted to René who seemed as surprised as me. The chances of him having been in close proximity of Maximus, or even having met him in the past without remembering was something more likely possible. What a funny thing, how life unfolds itself.

My eyes fell upon my mobile phone in my hand. For the duration of this car ride, I had been staring at it in the hopes it would go off with a text message of Maximus popping up on the screen. It hadn't yet, and it probably wouldn't for the rest of night.

...

The cafeteria was busting with students chatting amongst each other. The clatter of cutlery against plates was profoundly present in the busy dining hall., to a degree where it really started to annoy me. People could be so unnecessarily loud.

Standing in line, I was yet to decide between spaghetti and meatballs, when someone cut me off. "Pardon? There's a cue for a reason." I looked up annoyed to see an attractive male grinning at me.

"I was just trying to get your attention. I'm Evan."

"Good for you." I decided on the meatballs and grabbed a plate from the counter before I walked away, overlooking the cafeteria for a place to sit. Since I had travelled directly from home this Monday morning I had yet to hear from René, whom as it appeared skipped his classes again, so I was alone.

My mind drifted back to that particular thing I was trying not to think of. Maximus and that woman. I felt perplexed about feeling this type of way when nothing was established between us. We had fooled around and went on a couple of dates but surely that didn't mean anything, or at least not much. He had, with his charming ways, found a way to get under my skin so quickly.