TOY SELLER - PART 1

'Too many bags' Nazrin groaned. The cashier at the counter did not seem to have taken that complaint seriously. She kept filling the scanned goods using too many bags. She fixed her eyes on the POS screen.

'That's fine, bags are free, keep It down' I cooed getting closer into her ears. She glared at me.

'Nine thousand twenty-five, Madam, cash or card? Do you have a loyalty card' the petite cashier girl asked. Her name badge read 'Kumari'. Kumari continued – 'Sorry madam, we don't mix up detergents with food, frozen Items with vegetables, meat with the household.......' she gave a long list of explanation to justify her using too many bags. She apologized with a sigh 'It's company policy ma'm.'

'No worries' Nazrin said, faking a smile.

'Have a good day Ma'm. You too, sir' she chucked a long bill into the bag and grinned.

There was a hurricane of displeasure waiting to explode. 'Bilal, do these people even know what are they really doing? Plastics plastics. So much toxic waste. We are destroying us'. She grumbled as heading out of the supermarket.

'People on top don't give a damn, what plans have they in effect to combat plastic pollution and global warming?' she dumped seven large size bags and two tiny bags in the boot and slammed the deck lid with full strength, showing her frustrations.

'Not just people on top here. Even Donald Trump considers global warming is a hoax' I sniggered.

Nazrin is a graduate teacher. She teaches geography and environmental studies.

'Hey Naz, did you grab something for Fatima' I tried to divert her.

By the way. Fatima is our one and only daughter, who's with grandma now, while we shop.

'Sorry dear, ayyo..I forgot to grab her anything...' she shrugged.

"That's fine, On the way, I'll get her some doughnuts' I said.

Sundays are very special for bargain lovers; let them be poor, middle class or rich. Everyone in the town has a reason to visit Sunday fair, particularly, to buy home-grown, carbide-free, fresh vegetables and fruits.

The city was overcrowded, rarely there was parking. The vehicles weren't budging fast enough. I have to pass a busy road, then turn a roundabout to my lane.

I turned the car into Main Street, to 'Bread-Shop'; I stop occasionally there for brunch. They sell some of the best muffins and cream doughnuts in the town.

'Look there's parking' Naz pointed a free space, just opposite the bakery across the street.

'I need as well, a sugar doughnut' she said, adjusting her headscarf.

'Anything else?'

'That will do sweet, thanks' she blushed, gave an appreciative look.

I parked the car, got my wallet and crossed the road in a hurry.