TOY SELLER PART 3

Cousin Brother's marriage banquet night In Colombo.

The myriad of LED candles, fairy lights and lanterns adorned the star hotel on the beach side. The hotel has a capacious underground car park, glamorously spruced up outdoor party set up with subtle blue, pink and white theme decorations, incorporated with vintage styles was lavish. In the foyer, they'd placed a huge off-white combined with gold colored chandelier design cake uncut. Two little girls in fairy dress served elegantly packed rich cakes to female visitors at the door. Sami yusuf's album was considered halal in the party that kept playing loud. The buffet combined a slew of oriental and Arabic dishes. Surely, there was an extravagance that ate millions of my uncle's wisely earned money. The party comprised guests from all walks of life. I noticed the awkwardness in the face of my middle-class relatives as they mingled with the posh crowd. They murmured 'Asthagufirullas' at the pomp, while the rich exchanged 'Mashallah's'. Out the compound the security was chasing the balloon sellers and beggars, not to stand on the way.

'Fatima in your custody' I emphasized Nazrin, who took her way to the female lobby.

My uncle and Aunt made sure to welcome everyone who came to the party with big welcomes.

'Assalamu alai...koooom' a school time friend of mine came from nowhere, wide opening his arms, hugged me in delight.

'Long time no see man...How's things' we chit-chatted for almost an hour recalling old good days. From the hotel balcony, the sea view looked breathtaking.

'Buddy, I'm starving. Shall we eat?, I must rush soon, I gotta meeting tomorrow early in the morning' he politely requested.

'Why not?, me too, I got to drive a long way. let's go' I agreed.

There was no customary reception arranged. If you are hungry you can eat. If not, you are allowed to sit and talk as much as you want. The service boys there kept serving the sodas and cocktails.

'Hey wait...I know him' I excused my friend. My eyes penetrated into a group of guys, who were making a loud chat; especially a tall guy there had the volume enough to draw the rest of the crowd.

He wears a very neat white Shalwar Kameez, well-trimmed beard; I could smell his musk attar even at the distance. How come 'the toy seller' here. He looked completely different and handsome.

'Assalamu alaIkum...you remember me..' I neared him in a friendly manner. When he saw me he gave a big smile very casually, without dropping at least a bit of his composure.

'WalaIkum salaam..Hajee..what's up' he talked to me like a longtime friend. 'I'm from bride's side, you?' he questioned.

'Is it raining in Kandy?' he Inquired the weather. "Yes. Mild rain' I said. I felt a great relief. At least now, I got the chance to settle his due and feel unguilty.

'Brother, I need to talk to you, shall we get that side'' I pointed a corner. The toy seller treats himself like a free bird who's guaranteed a life, free of stress. He's that simple.

'Ya Ya why not, Maybe you want to say sorry haa.. before you talk, I got something Important to finalize' he smiled with his eyes.

'Okay Okay wait wait...where are you my little boy' he talked to himself as rummaging his pocket, pulled a long wallet that was so badly torn. Then for a moment, his fingers trawled inside the purse, finally, he carefully pulled a folded envelope.

He handed me some hundred notes from the envelope.

'What's this?' I asked him in amazement.

'Count...Check, if that's right?' He asked.

'Eight hundred rupees' I counted. I was nonplussed.

'Hajee, remember you fought me last time' he said.

That Sunday morning darted in my mind. 'Yes, No..I didn't fight. But I argued over..' before I finished,

He continued '' Okay whatever.. On the spot, you missed a thousand note from your pocket'

'It can't be mine' – I refused.

'Bhaay, The bakery cashier saw you losing it from your pocket' he confirmed.

How many times I called you. You didn't even turn. I kept it safe believing someday I'll meet you somewhere, AlhamdulIllah' he said. .' 'You see Sri Lanka is such a small country, we can always meet each other' he laughed as if he said a joke.

He continued.

"Hajee...by the way.. You have only eight hundred there rite...Jazakallah for two hundred. I already took my toy's payment' He chuckled.

I was stilled, not knowing what to say. 

END.