Chapter 3

Around 15 minutes after it got dark, you made it to the camp. The bite the crank gave you slowed you down because the pain distracted you. If it weren't for that stupid crank, you could've been there before it got dark, but the pain gave you a very small, unnoticeable limp.

Upon arriving, you were greeted by a woman with dark hair that asked if you were infected, and didn't suspect anything when you said no. She welcomed you to the camp, calling it the Right Arm. She was about to leave, but you had a burning question that you were dying to ask, so you threw it at her.

"Do you know if there's a cure for the virus?" You said.

"I'm afraid that there's no permanent cure, only a way to slow it down. It would take over eventually, but that's the thing." She said.

"What is it?"

"There will always be a need for more, and a chance of being infected over and over again. It requires someone who is immune to the virus, and there's always a chance that you won't have access to them. Why do you ask?"

"I just," you began, quickly thinking of an excuse, "I have some friends that caught the virus not long ago, and I wanted to know if there was a way to treat them."

"Friends are something to worry about, aren't they? We do have immunes here, but we don't allow cranks within the boundaries, just in case they infect anyone who's not immune."

After your conversation, you go over to the fire and see a familiar blonde look at you from the other side of the fire. After nudging the two boys next to him, he stands up and starts limping toward you as fast as possible, and you run to him, so fast you're almost flying.

"Oh my god, Y/N! Where were you?" Newt said, hugging you tightly.

"Teresa convinced me to go back to WICKED with her, but then they said I had to go back into the maze, so I ran away." You replied, returning his hug.

"I've missed you so bloody much."

"I missed you too."

He picked you up and pressed his lips against yours, and you followed suit. They moved together like a machine. A machine that hadn't been used for years, yet still somehow worked like it was built yesterday. After you eventually pulled away, you didn't move out of your positions, your foreheads pressed together. You were so happy that you had found him.

"Alright, lovebirds, break it up and give us the story" Minho said. That shank just had to ruin everything.

Newt put you down and you all sat by the fire as you told them every little detail that happened at WICKED, but of course, you didn't tell them about getting infected.

"That's insane. I can't believe Teresa could even think about leaving us like that!" Minho commented when you were finished.

"I can't believe she would even think about asking you to leave with her." Newt added. "The slinthead should know not to shuck with my girlfriend"

You giggled when he said that. "Well, I'm here now. That's all that matters."

Thomas had looked very distracted, as if he was in his own world. The rest of the gladers had made comments throughout your story, but he had stayed silent and stared off into the distance the whole time.

"You okay over there, Tommy?" You asked.

"Yeah, I'm just tired. I'm gonna head to bed." He replied before walking off.

"Wonder what that shank's thinkin'." Minho said when Thomas had gotten a distance away.

"He's probably just pissed because his bloody girlfriend's a traitor." Newt said in response.

You three sat there and talked for a while as people started trickling away from the campfire. You started feeling tired after a little while, and your yawns were becoming more frequent. Minho even left the fire after a little while. But you and Newt had catching up to do.

"Getting tired, love?" He said after one of the times you yawned.

You nodded in response.

"Alright then, let's get to bed." He stood and then helped you up. You didn't let go of his hand, and he didn't let go of yours as you walked to your tent. When you walked in, your jaw dropped.

"A real bed!?" You exclaimed. "No way."

"Yes way. It's decently comfortable, too." Newt chuckled.

Before he could say anything, you ran and flopped down onto it.

"OH.MY.GOD."

He lied down by you and noticed your tourniquet, unveiled when your pants slid up above it.

"What's that?"

"Oh, that?" You remembered the excuse you came up with while you ran up here. "I tripped over a branch and cut myself on it."

"Really? Let me see." He moved to take off your tourniquet, and you started panicking a bit.

"No, it's fine, I got it to stop bleeding, I just need to keep it on to make sure it doesn't get infected"

"I just want to see."

Before you could stop him, he grabbed the end of your tourniquet and had it unveiled. There it was, proof that you were a crank. A nasty little hole in your skin with black veins spreading out from it. It wasn't too bad, but it was enough to show that you had gotten the flare.

"Y/N," he said in a sad voice, "when did this happen?" He had tears threatening to burst out of his eyes.

You sat up with him and looked at it. "Tonight, I stopped by a pond on my way here, and a crank attacked me."

You looked up at him, and now he had tears falling down his face. You started crying too.
"Newt, I-"

"I'm not the only one."

"What?" You were very confused. What did he mean, he wasn't the only one?

He rolled up his sleeve to reveal his own nasty scar, the black veins in his spreading out a bit further than yours.

"When did you get yours?" You inquired. It couldn't be true. A few weeks ago, didn't you ask yourself what you would do if Newt was infected? It was time to answer your question.