Chapter 9

After Teresa injected the cure into you, everyone started to head back into the WICKED building to meet Jorge on the roof. You were eager to get to the berg, because that guaranteed you making it to the safe haven. You went back inside the fire escape and ran up the stairs as fast as you possibly could, which was faster than a few minutes ago because your ankle was starting to feel better.

Once you were on the top floor, you ran into the fire-consumed halls. There was a rooftop exit nearby, but you had to dodge a lot of flames on the way. At one point, pieces of the ceiling started falling. Time seemed to slow down as one went straight for Thomas. He was in such shock that all he could do was stare at the flaming concrete coming for him.

"THOMAS! NO!!!" you heard Teresa shout. Then, she did the stupidest thing you ever saw her do. She pushed Thomas out of the way and let it crush her instead.

"Teresa!" he turned to face her. "I'm so sorry, I should've-"

"No, Tom. It's okay. I'm the one who should be sorry."

"I love you, Teresa."

"I love you too. I only ever cared for...."

She stopped right there. Thomas stood there in shock, but you couldn't let him slow you down. You had to get out of there with as many people alive as you could.

"Come on, Thomas!" You grabbed him by the arm and pulled him along.

Everyone got onto the rooftop, and you ran into the berg at the same time. Once you were safely inside, the WICKED building collapsed. You stared at it from the window, thinking of the sacrifices everyone had made just for your safety. Chuck and Teresa died for Thomas, Alby died for all the gladers, George died for you. Teresa risked her life getting the cure for you and Newt.

There was no more WICKED, just a burning city. You had finally done it. There was no more WICKED to ruin your lives. You really weren't sure how to feel, you had lost so much, but you had also gotten more than you could ever ask for. Now, you were off to where you'd finally be safe. From everything. Whether it was WICKED, the flare, or cranks, you never had to think about it again.

You kept staring out the window, a shocked look on your face as you watched the rest of the world collapse. Newt came over to you and hugged you from behind, resting his chin on your shoulder.

"It's alright, love. We're safe now. Come sit down." He dragged you over to a seat.

Once you were sat down, you laid your head on his shoulder and pulled your knees to your chest. He put his arm around you and put his head on yours. You stayed like that for a while before falling asleep.

After an unintelligible amount of time, you were woken up by the sound of birds. You were in a hammock, and there was a beautiful blue sky above you. The safe haven, you thought. You walked out of your hammock to find your friends and some people from the Right Arm camp sitting around a fire.

Newt waved you over to sit next to him, and you gladly did so.

"Looks like we made it," you said.

"Yeah. We did. No more scorch, no more cranks, or WICKED, or flare," he replied.

"What now?"

He looked at you. "I guess we live peacefully for once. Get married, have kids, grow old. Feels weird to say it out loud. Never thought I'd live long enough to do those things."

"What about the outside world? Don't they deserve those things, too?"

"Y/N, we don't need to worry about that, alright? The solar flares are going to keep destroying it over and over. This is the only place anyone's safe. The only place you're safe. We're going to carry on with the rest of our lives on this beautiful island, and we're going to enjoy them."

"Yeah. I guess that's kind of the mentality that started WICKED, so..." you trailed off.

"An even better point than I could have thought of."

"I just miss everyone that sacrificed themselves so we could get here."

"But that's exactly the thing, isn't it? So many people risked their lives so we could enjoy the rest of ours. You can't let any of our past, what ifs, or the outside world make you worried because that means that all those sacrifices were for nothing."

"I guess so. I'm happy we made it to the safe haven."

"Me too. I love you so much, and I don't think I could handle it if you weren't here. I love you, Y/N."

"I love you too, Newt."

*TIMESKIP 12 YEARS*

"Teresa! Chuck! Alby! I have a story to tell you!" you shouted to your kids as they were chasing each other around the island. You and Newt had gotten married 5 years ago, just before you were pregnant with your first baby, Teresa.

Your kids gathered around you as you began to tell them the story of you and the gladers. Their reactions when they found out the heroes they were named after was adorable. Newt saw you telling them your story not long after you started telling it. He walked up to you and smiled.

"Come on, love, you're telling it wrong! Kids, you were named after the bravest people I knew." He started going into even deeper details than you could have imagined possible, and their faces lit up even more when they knew just how amazing their namesakes were. These stories made you relive all those times when there was no safety, and you were ever so grateful that you could spend the rest of your days in safety, because you were tired of running.

THE END! Hope everyone enjoyed the story, and have a good day!