Chapter 4

You were still in shock from seeing Newt's wound as he told you how he got it.

"We had to go through a tunnel full of cranks. Frypan was driving us through it and we rolled over. Some of a crank's blood was on my window, which broke. I had to go out through that window and my arm rolled into a shard of glass that had blood on it." So, that's how he got his.

"Does anyone else know?"

"Nope. I figured they'd hurt too much if I told them, but now we can share our pain with each other."

You hugged him and nestled your face into the crook of his neck, letting the tears flow.

"Shh, love," he said, laying you both down and wrapping his arms around you, "it's alright. We'll find a cure. I promise."

You stopped crying and managed a shaky sigh before saying "Yeah, we will."

He started stroking your hair. "I swear it on my life." He whispered before kissing your forehead. After you two sat in silence for a while, you finally surrendered yourself to a dark, dreamless sleep.

In the morning, you and Newt woke up to a sweet smell. The last time you had experienced that smell was in the glade. Realizing what it was, you smiled.

"Someone's happy this morning." Newt said with a chuckle as you sat up and began covering your wounds back up.

"You know why that is, Newwwwt?"

"Yes I do. Even though you haven't done this since we were in the maze, I know why. Go ahead"

After quickly putting your shoes on, you ran out of the tent with only one thing in mind.

"PANCAAAAAAKESSSSS!!!!!!!!!" You practically screamed as you sat down in between Newt and Minho.

"Yes, Frypan made pancakes. Why do you always get so excited about pancakes, anyway, Y/N?" Minho remarked

"Because they're PANCAKES!" You exclaimed through a mouthful of breakfast. "We're livin' the life here, Min!"

"It's better than in the bloody outside world, that's for sure." Said Newt.

"Thomas still isn't up. I wonder what's wrong with him." You really did wonder why he was so touchy by the fact that Teresa went back to WICKED. "I'm going to go find him."

You set off for Thomas' tent. It was pretty easy to find, since it was the only one with the door still strapped on for privacy. You wondered how you should get his attention. It was rude to just burst in, and knocking isn't exactly an option for tents.

"Thomas? You in there?" Yes, that would do for getting his attention.

"Y/N?"

"What do you need?"

"Teresa..." of course it was her bothering him, "... did she say anything about me when you guys ran away?"

"She said she misses you, and that if there were a way for you guys to be happy and together, she would be all for it."

Then, the unexpected happened. Thomas unlatched his door and walked out.

"I have to find her. I need to be with her again."

Before he could get much further, you grabbed his arm and pulled him back. "I know you do, but let's just wait here for a bit, yeah? We can leave tonight after everyone's asleep."

"That's a much better idea."

"Now, come get some breakfast. Fry made pancakes!"

You and the rest of the gladers were assigned jobs for the day, and you were assigned to go out and look for edible plants to bring back to the camp so that everyone had food. You were given a basket to put them in, but you brought your pillowcase too, saying it was a pack for in case you were injured. They had believed you, but you still had to be sneaky. This was the easiest way to get food for the journey to WICKED.

You hated the idea of going back. But, you would do anything for your friends, no matter how stupid it was. And who knew, maybe WICKED would find a cure by the time you got there. That was, if the flare inside of you and Newt hadn't worsened by then. But, you couldn't afford to think about what if's, there was already too much stress in your life to worry about something that might not even happen. You had to believe that you were going to make it.

At the end of the day, you had thought of a way to tell the gladers about your plan in secret. The other gladers had gained too much trust from most people at the Right Arm, and you couldn't have all of them coming with. That would draw too much attention from WICKED, that was the last thing you needed.

When you stopped by Fry at dinner to get your food, you whispered for him to meet you by the trucks filled with ammo. During dinner, you told Minho. Finally, when you went to go to bed, you told Newt to follow you.

When all five of you were there, you started waiting until everyone was away from the fire and it was put out. You had gotten your pillowcase filled halfway with food, the rest was taken up by medical supplies and blankets. The other case you had was filled with water bottles.

"Everyone ready?" Thomas asked. When everyone nodded their heads in agreement, Thomas said, "We should all take a gun, in case we get attacked by cranks. You bit your lip, remembering the conversation you had with Newt last night.

You looked up at him, and he had tensed and looked down at you. "I should hand them out." You said as you hopped in the bed of the truck and began to pass out weaponry. It ended up that everyone had a shotgun, a rifle, and two knives. That was in addition to anything you already had.

"Now that everyone's got all they need, let's go get Brenda."

"Who's Brenda?" What was Thomas talking about? I've never heard of a Brenda.

"We met her after the storm. She was in a crank shelter, but Thomas made her virus slow when we got here." Minho took the role of saying this, as Thomas was already racing to the medical tent.

When you were leaving, you passed by there and Thomas came out with a tired-looking girl that had short, dark hair and brown eyes.

"I'm assuming this is Brenda, then?" You said.

"Who's she?" Asked Brenda.

"She's another glader, Y/N, she got away from WICKED yesterday. She was in the maze with us." Thomas replied.

"Nice to meet you, Y/N, I'm Brenda. I've heard a lot about you, and let me just say, you are a badass!"

"You seem like one, too. I mean, how many people can be through the scorch and survive the flare, right?" So far, you were liking this Brenda.

"Thanks. You ready to get revenge on WICKED?"

"Of course I am. What do you have against them, though?"

"They took my brother away from me. His name was George."

George. He was in the maze with you, one of your best friends. He used to be your running partner, but then you two got stuck in the maze overnight.