Chapter Thirty-One: Connections

So guys... this chapter is short the beggining is kind of fluffy but it gets better towards the end and I think you'll like it :) Don't forget to vote and comment if you do...

I'm actually expecting several comments on this one because... 

Well...

You'll see.

*evil grin*

(Also: the story Burned from Fire and Ashes should be read after this chapter)

I was irritable and tired and not in the mood for company but Cara either didn't care or-- well, knowing Cara, she probably just didn't care. As far as she was concerned, she had an unprecedented day off and we were damn well going to spend it looking at pretty dresses even if she had to drag me down to the middle district and tie me to her belt to keep me there. 

"This should be interesting," Nick observed dryly, taking in Cara's smug grin and my scowl. "Maybe I should come with you. To make sure no one gets killed."

"You wouldn't stop me from strangling her," I muttered.

"Should we get Nemia?" Cara asked, looking around as though she might appear out of thin air.

Unfortunately, Nemia still had all her combat lessons and didn't have time to be tortured by Cara, so I would have to suffer alone. Not that I had anything against dresses, it's just that they were expensive and impractical and annoying and I hated them.

Walking down to the city was so instinctive that I didn't have to look at where I was going, just let Cara's chatter fade into background noise and sink into my own thoughts. My mind was mostly made up, but how to tell the rebels I had conditions? I wouldn't just be some lackey, I wanted to know at all times what was going on. I wasn't a fool, after all. I could tell Aiden was clever enough to pick and choose what information to divulge-- it was his greatest weapon. But I would need to know everything the rebels were doing at all times. Too many of my friends were close to the royals-- Sam, an illegitimate and unrecognized prince, tossed unthinkingly away to do what he wished, what were they planning to do about him? Cara and Nick, castle guards, would they be taken care of? Luca-- whether he was a friend or not, surely he didn't deserve whatever they were planning for the nobles. And Nemia-- well. She would be fine. If she fulfilled her part of the prophecy the rebels would be indebted to her. 

I was so immersed in my questions that I almost didn't register Nali's face in the corner of my vision. 

When I finally did, I stopped short. "Cara! Wait, I need to--" I dashed across the street and into the nearest store, gesturing for Nali to follow me, and pushed my way to the back.

"Have you decided?" She asked, joining me in a stuffy back corner. 

"Yes. But I need to talk with Aiden."

"Okay. That's fine. Come tonight." She glanced around, distracted. "Good. I have to go."

"That's it? Just good? What happened to 'we need you'?"

"We do. We do need you. But I have to go." She grinned. "You'll see."

"Why?" I asked, anxiety boiling up in my stomach. "What's going on?"

"You'll see," she repeated.

And then she was gone, leaving me with with a sick feeling of worry. They were already planning something? What were they doing?

"Morane, look! They have this blue color that matches my eyes perfectly--"

"I want to go back," I announced, threading my way around Cara, her arms piled with sky blue silk, and towards the door.