( 十五 )

"So," Eleanor Young started. "You thought it was okay for you to come back to Singapore after almost two years without contacting us?" The matriarch questioned. She was furious, but despite everything Eleanor just wanted her daughter back. "And you brought a foreigner with you."

"That foreigner is my boyfriend and his name is Julian Draxler. He's different, mama—more than you'd imagine."

"How is he different?" She questioned. You'd know how frustrated Eleanor Young was by just listening to the tone of her voice."You know how long we've tried to uphold this family's honor and tradition and now you decide to think it was right for you to choose a foreigner?"

Compared to the older Young, it was Charlie who always made their parents angry, because she would talk back whenever she felt that her parents were already wrong. Nick, on the other hand, was the favorite because he'd follow whatever they wanted him to do. That was until he decided to marry Rachel Chu. Now, she wanted to prove Julian was worth it by arguing with her mother. "What if I want to not marry someone in "our radar" but still uphold the tradition? I don't see anything wrong with being with Julian."

"Marriage is about making connections, Charlotte. That's one thing you need to learn."

"What if I want to marry out of love? What about dad? Did you marry him for honor?"

"That's why I was never in good terms with your Ah Ma. Your father married for love."

"Then what's wrong with me being with Julian?" Charlie asked.

"He doesn't fit the standards. He's not Asian, to start with. Imagine having half-whatevers in the family. What about Sebastian? You were supposed to marry him!"

"Bastian? That's what you're pushing here? You know we'll never be a thing. And those half-whatevers you're talking about will be what you're getting when I marry Julian one day."

The older woman sighed, showing defeat. "You frustrate me."

"Likewise, mom." Charlie commented.

Eleanor stood up, took out a couple of Singaporean dollars from her wallet and place it on the table before speaking, "Talk to your father about this. I'm done arguing with you, Charlotte. Dinner tomorrow night at the mansion and bring that German of yours." She said as she turned her back and exited the coffee shop.

mon amour
iMessage

Dinner tomorrow night
with my family 🥰

what