Chapter 51

- Hector -

.

.

There is an area of the fence that is missing, about 50 yards long. Jo and I are both covered in mud and blood and are all scratched up. The tornado is now twice its size and is blowing debris everywhere. About ten buildings have been torn down, but they are all small buildings on the edge of the edge of the city that no one lives in.

Jo and I are now standing on the edge of the city and I am so ready to leave. They say that there is no world outside the fence, but I never believed that. I knew that the world just didn't drop off at the horizon. I knew that there was more out there, and now I am going to find out.

Jo and I are both really hurt. Jo thinks she has a sprained ankle, but I know that it's broken, and my shoulder bone was shattered, so we've probably taken about an hour to get here.

I gaze back at the city that I grew up in, and I know that it would never be the same for me again. I am so ready to get out of here and start a new life, hopefully with Al.

Al.

I hope she got out okay. No, I know she got out okay. I love her, and I know she loves me. Not even death could tear us apart.

.

.

- Al -

.

.

We have been walking for hours, but I can't stop, I won't stop. Ethan and his army are going to catch us if I don't keep walking. Maci twisted her ankle, and Brian is helping her walk. I think that there is something going on between them, but it's none of my business. But I think it will be good for both of them. They both need someone right now.

"They are definitely going to go out." Jenna whispers to me.

I laugh at her, "If we survive."

"Yeah, if we survive." Jenna laughs along with me.

That is the first time I've laughed in a while. "Do you think we'll see them again?" Jenna asks.

"Who is them?" I ask.

"Amar, George, Kev, Claire, Jordan, Hec, Jo," Jenna says, and I stop dead in my tracks.

"Hector and Jo?" I say, I can feel tears brimming in my eyes.

"Oh shit I forgot," Jenna says, "I don't think they could have died."

"Jenna," I say, but she keeps going.

"What, a tornado couldn't have killed them, they are two of the strongest people we know." Jenna says, and tries to smile.

"I don't know Jenna," I say.

"Al, you and Hector are so strong, you have gone through so much," Jenna says, "I think that you guys are going to last, Hector wouldn't let go of you."

"Thanks Jenna," I smile, and it is a real smile, not a fake one, like the ones that I have put on my face in the past few weeks.

.

.

The sun is now setting, five hours of walking. I have been walking for five hours. Jenna is basically sleeping as she walks with me. Brian has been carrying Maci for the past thirty minutes. I look up, and I see a small top of a building peeking out of the horizon.

"Jenna!" I yell, and she falls.

"Wha-?" She starts and then she sees what I am looking at.

"Is that?" She says, a smile spreading across her face.

"A building!" I hear Brian say, and Maci wakes up.

"What's going on?"

"There's a building." I say, and her eyes light up.

I start running towards the building, and as I get closer, I realize that there are more buildings. I hear the dry grass crunching under my feet. The storm was only in the city, so right when we got outside the fence, we moved faster, saying that our feet weren't getting stuck in the mud.

Brian concluded that it was definitely erudite made, and he only talked about it for about an hour.

The sun is setting faster, but the building there is only about 200 yards to go. I keep running. I am surprised, after hours of walking that I still have enough energy to keep running. I hear Maci, Brian, and Jenna behind me, and Brian is panting. The buildings are just out of my reach, then I see a person, and a car, and a truck. There are more buildings, and I see people in them. I feel a smile grow across my face, but it quickly fades.

Like twenty people with guns come out of the buildings. Half of them have their guns pointed at me. I am frozen to the  ground, and I feel like I am back in our city, everyone pointing their guns at me.

"Put your hands up," a girl calls, and I can't. I am in such shock. This was supposed to be the place where I got my freedom, where I didn't have to be afraid, but I was wrong.

My arms are still down because I can't move them up. Then, there is a searing pain in my knee, and I feel a bullet shatter my kneecap. I scream in pain, and I fall to the ground. My hands are clutching my knee, and I try to block out the pain, but I just can't.

"Stop! Stop!" I hear someone yell. I see a dark skinned man standing over me. I have no idea who he is, but I feel like I should.

"Four's daughter, aren't you?" He says, and I the name finally comes to me.

"Amar?"

The man nods and picks me up bridal style and starts carrying me towards the buildings.

"Amar, what the hell?" A man calls at him, "Put the rebel down, now."

Amar walks right past the man, and into the building. People keep trying to ask Amar questions, but he hasn't answered a single one. A woman opens an all white room, and Amar lays me down on the white bed in the center. The woman sticks a few needles in my arm and then the machines next to the bed start beeping.

The woman whispers something to Amar, and then he nods and she leaves.

"My older brother is named after you," I say, and Amar looks up at me.

He grins to himself and he says, "Four never let me down."

"What's your name?" Amar asks me.

"Al." I say, and his mouth drops.

Then, there is a knock on the door, and in walks a tall, muscular, man.

"You look so much like your mother." The man says. Who the hell is this?

"Who are you?" I ask.

He says, "I'm Al."