twentysix

Niamh's pov

Another boring assembly having to listen to Jenny sing came around. She and her little followers were wearing ridiculous jackets which really didn't suit them. I thought that their performances couldn't get any worse but I suppose as usual I was wrong. Because this was shite.

"Lovely. And I believe you wrote the lyrics yourselves. Is that correct?" Sister Michael asked Jenny.

"It is indeed, Sister."

"Do you ever think you might have too much time on your hands, girls?" Sister asked standing up. "Lose the jackets. Okay, just a couple of things. Firstly, I'd like to introduce Mae Cheung. Can you make yourself known, please, Mae?"

Then we all turned around to see who Mae was. She did look a bit puzzled, but she'd get used to all this shit.

"Miss Cheung's family have recently moved here to Derry so I hope you'll all make her feel very welcome. It's bound to be a bit of a culture shock, Mae. Things are donedifferently in this part of the world. But I'm sure you'll soon feel as at home here as you did back in your beloved Donegal. Announcement from Jenny Joyce and the dance committee.
"The school social event of the year is fast approaching, "but before you don your glad rags and boogie on dow" I'm sorry, I simply cannot read this." Sister stopped handing the sheet to Jenny who stood at the microphone.

"But before you don your glad rags and boogie on down, we'd like to let you in on our little secret. We're not actually going to have a school formal this year."

what the fuck.

"No, listen, we're not gonna have a school formal. We're going to have Doo-bee doo-bee doo-bee doo-bee doo-bee doo-bee do-o-o,"

kill me.

"a fifties prom!"

"What?!"

"Wise up!" Michelle shouted.

"I know, I know.But I do love a theme.
Sure, isn't that why people call me the Theme Queen?." Jenny said.

"Do they?" Clare asked.

"Do they fuck."

"We want it to have a real old-school, retro, vintage vibe. So, feel free to just go for it!."

"Feel free to kiss my hole." Michelle said.

-

Clare was on a mission to find Mae, I really wasn't sure why because I'm content with my friends and don't want anymore, that's just one more persons problems that I have to deal with and I really cannot be arsed.

"There she is. Okay, so I say we just go over there and be ourselves, girls. Well, not totally ourselves. We should definitely be a bit ourselves. We could also pretend we're sort of better than we actually are.
So, I suppose what I'm saying is, we could present a version of ourselves that's less"

"Crap?" Erin asked.

"Precisely."

"Why do we even have to talk to her?" I asked.

"Because she's new, Niamh!"

"Urgh! I hate people I don't know." I said.

"And, in case you hadn't noticed, she also happens to be Chinese. I mean, how class would it be to have a Chinese friend?!" Clare asked.

"We could keep her in my toy box."

"No, we couldn't, Orla."

"Oh, she'd definitely fit." Orla smiled.