200 Different Definitions

Hui Yin studied the Hui Jinhai that was acting indifferent to her and sighed.

It seemed her beautiful memories were the only reminder left of the doting older brother whom she had always adored.

"Forget it." She stood up. "It doesn't matter anyway."

Hui Yin turned towards Lu Shen.

"Promise me that you won't take off the handcuffs."

He nodded. "I promise."

Hui Yin smiled and walked out of the room. Lu Shen followed after her. But she held up a hand and stopped him.

"I'm just going to take a walk outside, to calm down. You don't have to come with me."

Recalling Hui Jinhai's words, Lu Shen understood. She wanted to be alone. As much as he wanted to comfort her, he knew he was unwelcome. So he didn't insist and agreed. He thought she would only take a walk around the building.

But Hui Yin got out as soon as Lu Shen gave her the green light. After coming back to the alley above the underground parking lot, she hailed a taxi cab and went to the nearest shrine for the worship of Yue Lao.

There were couples praying for a happy marriage, singles in search of love or parents eager for their children to be married inside the shrine. Yue Lao's statue was often depicted as an old man holding the book of marriage in his left hand and a walking stick in his right hand. Hui Yin immediately saw him, sitting in the right hall. His neck was adorned by numerous red strings hung by hopeful singles.

Hui Yin took out her bottles of rice wine and refused the red string that was being offered to her. She muttered a quick prayer and offered her bottles of rice wine.

"Senior, wherever you are, please quickly meet me," she beseeched. "I already did what you asked me to do. I want to go back to my present life as soon as possible!"

After she was done praying, Hui Yin roamed the streets of Beijing. She was surprised at how a lot of things had changed. There were more advanced technologies now, and the current fashion was something that she couldn't understand. Comparing their bright and sparkly outfits with Lu Shen's, she realized how understated he was. There were even some men who wore make-up. Twelve years...it was indeed a long time.

She realized that the whole mansion itself was trapped in a time stasis. She never felt that twelve years had passed except for the disappearance of a few familiar faces from the household staff. He had kept everything in a similar way when she died. He could have renovated, or even transferred into a new home, but he didn't.

Hui Yin was overwhelmed with what this all meant. She couldn't occupy such a big space in his heart, could she?

"Girl, where's my beer?"

Hui Yin jumped. An old man was clasping his hands behind his back, his head leaning over to whisper in her ear. He looked like a beggar, with his straggly beard and mismatched clothes. But Hui Yin knew better.

"Senior!"

She didn't think that he would come so quickly.

"Senior, you're here! I already did what you told me to do, and captured the culprit. Senior, that means you're going to break the red string between me and Lu Shen right? That also means I can go back to the present time right?"

"Eh." Yue Lao stuck out his pinky finger and cleaned his ear. "You really did that?"

"En!" Hui Yin nodded her head vigorously. "I really did that!"

His eyes became out of focused for a brief second, before a grumpy expression replaced his blank look.

"Girl, you didn't really capture him, you only rode on the coattails of your ex-husband!"