A Soaring Statement

I stared into the fire, an empty brandy glass in my hand, pondering everything that was happening in my life. In the chair beside mine, Severus graded students' papers. The scratching of his quill was soothing on my frayed nerves. In the last few days, I had agreed to play a triple agent in a war I had fairly blindly walked into. I had made an enemy out of not only Malfoy, but also Umbridge. And on top of all that I had squared off with one of the most dangerous wizards in the whole damn world. Sighing in exasperation, I leaned my head back against the chair. 

"Is everything alright?" Severus asked, setting his quill to the side. 

"Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing the right thing." I replied, closing my eyes. I heard Severus shift his work to the side. Feeling him take my hand in his, I opened my eyes again to see him standing over me. 

"You are doing everything you can to keep your place in this world," Severus said quietly, pulling me to my feet. I leaned against his chest, just enjoying the comfort of his presence. 

"I have to do something," I murmured.

"And you will," He replied, kissing my head, "I know you will."

~

The next morning, I stood with Zephyr and Sahara in the courtyard at Hogwarts's entrance. Slowly, I unfurled my wings, hearing my pack members doing the same behind me. With a rush of wind, the three of us propelled ourselves skyward. 

Hogwarts took on a new view from the sky. My wings took me around the very top spires before I dipped down to fly alongside the great arching windows that looked out over the grounds. I caught glimpses of students pointing and watching as we took a full lap around the school. 

As we landed back in the courtyard, students rushed outside to see us. This time, they weren't fearful or cautious. In fact, this time they reached out to brush their fingers against the feathers of our wings. They asked what it was like to fly like that, if we could show them again. I beamed at them, trying to answer questions as quickly as they were thrown out of me. 

"Out of my way," A shrill voice said rudely, and Umbridge appeared before me, shoving a poor little Hufflepuff girl to the side.

"What is the meaning of this?" The toad-faced woman said imperiously, pointing a finger at me.

Stretching my wings out, I replied, "We fancied a bit of a flight today."

"I do not think this sort of behavior proper." She hissed, loosing some of her cool demeanor. 

Stepping forward so that I was almost nose to nose with her, I said in a serious tone, "I don't give two shits what you think is proper. Whether or not you like it, I am here to stay. You can harp and screech all you want about how dangerous we are, I don't care." With that, I folded my wings and turned on my heel to go inside. 

"You will regret saying that." Umbridge called after me.

"Frankly, Professor," I replied over my shoulder, "I don't give a damn."