Chapter Seven

Miles's Pov

After hearing her whimper out in pain, I knew I couldn't do it. It was like something snapped in me, and the thought of physically hurting her, hurt me as well.

I didn't want a mate, however I couldn't stay away from her at the same time. I hated how weak she made me feel. The sparks I felt when our skin touched was enough to bring a grown man to his knees.

I could feel how retracted my wolf was from me now. He was disgusted that I would even think about hurting our mate. Our mate... The words seemed so foreign to me. I shook my head at the silly thought. I knew it was going to be hard, but this is what was best for the both of us.

After what had happened with- I couldn't go there. I couldn't think about the possibility of that happening to me. I wouldn't let it.

Picking up the bottle of bourbon, I took a swig. It would take a lot to get an alpha drunk, but I needed anything I could get right now to take away the guilt I felt. I wanted every memory of her forgotten. Her scent was all over this house and it was pure ecstasy. With every sip I took, Calla Summers became only a distant memory.

Not really knowing what I was doing, I walked out of the house and into the woods. I was definitely a little more than buzzed after finishing off the whole bottle. Letting my wolf take the reigns, I allowed him to carry on through the woods.

Coming up to the edge of the trees, I looked up at the house he had taken us to. It was one I didn't recognize, but after inhaling I knew exactly where he had taken us. Letting out a growl, I went to turn and leave back into the forest. However, he was stronger than I was in this state. Placing his paws firm to the ground, he wouldn't let me move an inch.

Signing in defeat, I laid down on the ground, resting my head on my paws. I didn't want to admit it, but just being this close to her was enough to put my wolf and I at ease. Closing my eyes, we laid there in pure bliss.

Calla's Pov

The sun shone in through the window, blinding me in the face. I had the best, but worst sleep at the same time. All I dreamt about was Miles and his wolf.

Hopping off the bed, my leg was mostly healed besides a few bite marks. Thankfully it wasn't shorts season, so I wouldn't have to explain the marks. Heading to the kitchen to relieve my grumbling stomach, my dad was sitting on the couch, one leg resting on the other while reading the paper.

"Someone slept in late," he called out from the couch. I gave him a sly smile, but kept my mouth shut, not having a good excuse. Grabbing a bowl of cereal, I sat at the table, gazing out the back window as I ate.

Out of the corner of my eye, something moving out there caught my attention. Squinting my eyes, I tried to make out what it was. Just like that, the object bolted and all I caught was a black shadow.

My heart jumped at the thought that it might have been Miles. I laughed at my own stupidity. He almost killed me and never wanted me to return, there was no way he was in my backyard.

The sudden vibration of my phone broke me out of thought. Grabbing it, I couldn't help the smile that found its way to my lips at who had texted me. 'I'm picking you up in 20. Wear something you don't mind getting wet -L'

Quickly taking my now empty bowl to the sink, I made my way upstairs to get ready. I wasn't sure what Liam meant by his text, but I slipped on a bathing suit just in case. With fall quickly approaching, it wasn't that warm out so the thought of what he had in store for us made me a little nervous.

Conveniently, right as I finished getting completely ready, I received a text letting me know Liam was here. "Calla, there's a boy here for you!" My dad called up to me. Taking the steps two at a time to avoid any awkward interactions between Liam and my dad, I came to a halt at the sight before me.