chapter six

{   CHAPTER SIX , NEW LIGHT   }

{ CHAPTER SIX , NEW LIGHT }

BEVERLY WALKED DOWN the hallway of her apartment. She was still covered in blood, the red venom dripping from her short wavy locks. She didn't want to touch her dress, or even try to clean herself off, yet. The slinky substance radiated off her body, the smell of the dead and the silhouette, quintessence liquid still dripped from her fear, making sure that it would give her nightmares. Her footsteps were quiet. She felt like she couldn't move, like she couldn't swallow the lump in her throat, all she tasted, all she felt, was the blood.

Alvin was asleep in his recliner, the same jumpsuit covered his skinny body. Oh how Beverly hated her father. She slowly walked through the living room to get to the small kitchen where the house phone was attached to the wall. She had her number memorized, the information burned into her mind. She was sure she could never forget. With her soft delicate fingers still slimed with blood, she dialed her number, repeating each number in her mind as she bloodied the keys on the phone.

Beverly brought the phone up to her ear and started to listen to the same ringing noise echoing through the speaker.
"Hello?" The soft voice spoke. It was filled with tiredness and dread. If Beverly's face wasn't already covered with the colour red, you would've been able to see the blush caressing her sun kissed cheeks. But this wasn't a time to blush and rave about how the other girl on the line was the cutest person to ever offer her candy in her whole entire life.

"Blake ...." was all Beverly could make out. Her lip was quivering and her heart was doing summersaults in her stomach; mostly because she thought she was hallucinating, but Blake always had a contribute to Beverly one way or another.
"Bev? Is anything wrong?"
"P-please, just c-come over." The worry in Beverly's voice made Blake worried. She was inside of her house, her mother giving all of her attention to the twins, which left her to answer the late night call.
"I'm on my way." Suddenly, silence took over the line and Beverly nodded, as if Blake knew of her movement. She shakily pulled the phone down from her ear, seeing the blood that painted the phone like a sea of weapons. Suddenly, her hand couldn't take the weight and she dropped the phone, the batteries falling out and rolling across the white stained tiles. Beverly rushed out of the kitchen and back in the bathroom, sliding down against the door, wanting to scream and cry.
   And that's what she did; only one out of two.

BLAKE QUICKLY SLAMMED the phone back onto the wall and ran up to her bedroom, getting ready to switch her night clothes with her regular outfit. She grabbed her backpack and stuffed a blanket and a change of clothes inside. She raced down the stairs, frantically moving her hair—which had grown an inch since school had let out—out of her face and behind her ear. She chose her casual outfit as always, being in more of a rush than ever. The backpack was hitting against her back, the soft blanket not comparing to the books that used to fill the bag.