Sixteen

“Dinner?” Taehyung blanked, giving Jungkook a confused look.

The man nodded. “I...was hoping that maybe we could...go on a date? I know that…” Jungkook trailed off, sounding really nervous.

Taehyung bit his bottom lip and looked down at his hands.

He honestly didn’t know if he wanted to go on a date with Jungkook. He didn’t know if he wanted to get romantically involved with the male again. Could he trust Jungkook to stay this time?

Taehyung shook his head and sighed. “Jungkook…”

“Please just give me this chance.” Jungkook whispered, already knowing the doubts floating through the other’s head. “I want to try and make it up to you, all those years that I missed, and wasn’t there for you. And I want to show you all that I’ve accomplished. I...just want to go back to how things were.”

Taehyung shook his head. “Things can’t ever go back to that, Jungkook, you know that.”

“Then let’s start something new.” Jungkook insisted. “Just one date, please? If you don’t want to go on another one afterward, I’ll drop it and we’ll just stay friends…” Jungkook physically flinched from those words, knowing that he didn’t want that. “Just one date, and if you don’t want another, I’ll never bring it up again.” He insisted once again.

Taehyung bit his lip harder, feeling it break a bit from the nervous force he was using. But he slowly nodded his head. Jungkook beamed and nodded, happily. “Okay! Tomorrow, noon. I’m going to go and get everything set up. I’ll make this perfect, I promise…”

Jungkook briskly walked out of the room, off to set everything up. Taehyung sighed and turned back to the tv he hadn’t really been watching earlier, just blankly staring at.

He curled up into the blanket surrounding him and sank further into it’s warm embrace.

Yoongi suddenly entered the room, sitting right beside Taehyung.

“You know why Jungkook’s suddenly so happy?”

“He...asked me on a date.”

“And I’m guessing you agreed?” Taehyung nodded slowly.

“Yeah…”

“Do you regret agreeing?”

Taehyung shrugged. “I don’t know...I guess I’m just...wary of getting involved with him in such away again.”

“You’re caught up in the past again, Tae. Don’t be. Think of him as someone you were never romantically involved in. He’s someone who’s asking you on a date for the first time, and he likes you. Would you say yes if you had never met him before?”

“Yes...but I have met him before.”

“I know that, but maybe something good will become of this.”

“I just...I don’t know if I’m ready for a relationship.”

“Then tell him that. Say that you’ll still go on the date with him, but tell him that you’re not sure if you’re ready for a relationship yet. I’m sure he’ll wait for you, Tae. Jungkook’s been waiting for you for years.”

“He’s been what?”

“Well, I’m sure he’s told you by now that he left for you.”

“He tried to…” Taehyung muttered. “But I don’t really see how he could have left for me. I was perfectly happy with him by my side.”

“He didn’t want to be just some street thug for you. He wanted to be successful, so when he was presented with the opportunity to be more, he took it. He wanted to impress you, make something of himself like you were.”

“I was jealous of you.” Taehyung turned to find Jungkook standing at the entrance to the room.

“You were what?”

“I was jealous. I know that sounds weird, but I was. You were going places, you were successful, you had amounted to more than I ever thought I would. I was some almost dropout high school kid in some low level street gang who got high and drunk half the time. Yet you still put up with me, god only knows how. You were kind, successful, smart...I wanted to prove to you that I could be those things, too, that I wasn’t just some nobody thug.”

“But you weren’t just a nobody thug to me. You were the love of my life, I didn’t care about any of that, whether you were successful or not, you were you, Jungkook.”

The male flinched.

You were the love of my life.

Those words flashed through his mind as he sighed, looking down. “Well, what’s done is done.” Jungkook finally muttered. “I can’t go back and change it, as much as I wish I could. I’m just glad you’re giving me another chance. And I wanted you to know, that I never meant for my absence to hurt you, Taehyung. I wanted to surprise you, show you how successful I’d become, sweep you off your feet and do some cliché romantic shit, I guess.”

Taehyung cracked a grin. “You were always cheesy and cliche like that, cuddle munchkins.”

Jungkook choked on his breath at the old nickname, his cheeks blooming a scarlet red. Yoongi gaped at the nickname, glancing between Jungkook and Taehyung.

“The hell?”

“Old nickname.” Taehyung offered. “He used to be clingy and cuddly all of the time. He hated it.”

“I only said I did so that you would say it more. You called me it all of the time and I loved it. I wouldn’t mind you calling me that again...” Jungkook admitted. Taehyung giggled in response.

“Then I guess you’ll have to earn that.”