The Journey

Myra

She was searching for something.

Far away. Yes, so very, very far away, but closer than before. There were no walls or water, not this time.

But still so far. Her sisters would not like it, but they would listen. They always did.

Only then could they return to Brother. Only then.

Myra blinked against the sunlight as it broke through the trees, interrupting her ruminations. She'd had strange dreams for a long time now, though they were often dark and forgotten by dawn, but ever since she had escaped with Jaime, the clarity of them was almost overwhelming. A forest in the night, and sounds so distinct, she might have actually been awake.

And the words in her mind. They were not spoken. There was no voice. They were almost...perceived by her, as if instinct was telling her how someone else was thinking.

Shaking her head, Myra pushed the thoughts away entirely. There were far more real and dangerous things in the waking world that she needed to worry over, not least of which was the man sitting across the fire from her.

It had been two days since they left Dragonstone, and what supplies they had taken from the fisherman had dwindled to near nothing, not that it had been much to begin with. Some salted fish, dried fruit, some other salted meat that she preferred not to know the origin of. It was a far cry from the meals she was used to, but a small price to pay for the freedom she had gained.

Fortunately for the two of them, Jaime was not like many southern lords she had come to know in King's Landing. Where men like Renly or Littlefinger would have been completely out of their element lost in the forests of the Crownlands, Jaime had taken to it in stride. He knew how to hunt and had painstakingly killed a couple rabbits, which he was currently skinning in silence. She wasn't sure if that was just how he worked, or if he was ignoring her; she supposed it didn't matter. They had nothing to talk about.

Much to his chagrin, they were currently traveling north, although it was only until they hit water again. The Bay of Crabs was to be their guide. Once they hit the shore, they would turn westward. Travel along the waterway would be dangerous, but it was better than wandering aimlessly through the trees.

That had been her suggestion, and was really the only thing she had contributed to their journey thus far.

Myra inched closer to the fire, which Jaime had built, and drew her knees in. They had no cloaks to speak of, so she had awoken freezing and covered in dew. She wanted to be dry before they set out again, and sat as close as she dared, all while watching Jaime through the flames.

She wondered, and feared, whom they would find first. If it was Lannister forces, Lord Tywin would undoubtedly have her sent right back to King's Landing, where she could play the role of hostage for another king, only this time she would have no chance of escaping. If they found her brother's men, Myra could not be entirely certain if Jaime wouldn't use her as a means of escape. Yes, he had been kind and saved her life many times, but at the end of the day, she was a Stark, and the enemy. If it meant staving off capture, Myra did not doubt that he would put a blade to her throat.

And some small part of her could not blame him for it.

Unable to sit useless anymore, Myra stood and moved to the other side of the fire. Jaime was currently working on the second rabbit, ripping its skin off the muscle with a sickening tearing sound. She paid no mind to it. The hunting dogs back home had done far worse to little creatures.

Sitting next to Jaime, Myra grabbed the bloody carcass of the first rabbit and tossed it onto a slab of rock she had put in the fire earlier. The meat began to sizzle almost instantly and the smell made her remember just how hungry she actually was. She grabbed a small stick, quickly checked it for insects, and began to move the rabbit around. They were lean creatures and too long in one spot would burn the meat.