1

Present Day

Winters are just horrible.

I sigh as I walk to school, my best friend, Jeong Yunho, walking right beside me. I played with my phone as Yunho whistled a song.

"Look there, Mikyung!" Yunho suddenly pointed excitedly into the distance. "That tree is already growing leaves!"

"Winter better be ending soon," I grump negatively into my scarf, tightening the furry orche brown winter coat around me.

"Aw, be positive," Yunho chides. "Mingi and Hongjoong are bringing us ramen today, remember?"

"Why would they do that?" I ask, as we got nearer and nearer to the school. "They rarely buy us anything."

Yunho facepalmed himself. "Mikyung, did you forget that we both made a bet against those two? And that whichever team loses had to bring the other team ramen? And that we won?"

I lit up. "Oh right!" I grin sheepishly at my best friend. "Sorry, I forgot."

Yunho sighs. "You forget everything, Mikyung. I'm starting to think you will forget me in the future."

I snorted. "Me? Forget you? Never."

The truth is, I didn't forget. I was only distracted by a thought about something. Or rather, a someone.

Not long after, Yunho and I arrived at school. As soon as we arrived in the school pavilion, which had an open roof, Mingi and Hongjoong approached us, two cups of ramen in their hands.

"Well thanks, guys!" I grinned immediately, snatching the cups from their hands. I gave one to Yunho, who was showing a his usual gleaming smile.

Hongjoong faked a sour smile. "I can't believe you were right about Min Miyun having dated Yang Seungjae before."

"This is some ways joining our class's group chat can be useful for future references," I smiled back cheekily at the frown on his face as I looked for the closest water dispenser. I found one and rushed to it, only to be beaten by Yunho. I grumble as he gave me a winning grin and filled his cup with hot water.

"So, how was your day so far, guys?" Mingi asked as he and Hongjoong approached us at the water dispenser.

"A bore," I sigh, looking at my cup of ramen noodles.

"Aw, come on," Yunho reprimands, as he stirred his soupy noodles. "The day barely begun."

"And I'm already chilly," I complained as I bent down to fill my cup.

"It's winter! It's chilly everyday." Hongjoong answers back, yanking his beanie downwards. In the process, he knocked down his glasses, and they fell to the floor. I caught them quickly with my left hand, my right hand holding the cup of noodles and threatening to fall.

Mingi and Yunho applauded my 'show' and tsk-ed at Hongjoong. "Yah, Hong," Yunho says. "If it wasn't for the great Mikyung here, your glasses would be dead by now."

"They are pretty much still alive," Hongjoong huffs, taking his glasses back from me. "And thank you, Kyung."

I smile at the friendly nickname these guys gave me. "No problem."

As Yunho and I ate our ramen, we listened to Mingi and Hongjoong's stories about their childhood. Just as Mingi was telling a very interesting story about how he almost murdered his younger sister by pushing her off a ledge, I noticed a crowd entering the pavilion. My stomach dropped when I realized who they were crowding around.

The school's most famous boys.

Park Seonghwa, Choi San, Kang Yeosang, and every girl's crush:

Jung Wooyoung.

When I say every girl's crush, I don't mean every single girl in the school. But when I say every girl's crush, I mean that I also have a crush on him.

Personally for me, it's embarrassing, really. I don't know why I like him so much. Maybe it's his purple-colored hair. Maybe it's the way he smiles. I don't really know myself. I can't control my heart.

Hongjoong and Mingi don't even know about this crush. Yunho does, though, and he always snickers at me whenever he's around. Just like what he's doing to me now. I glare at him, willing him to shut up and not look so obvious.

The crowd is mainly filled with fangirls trying to get the four boys to notice them or boys just wanting to be friends with them. I notice that San and Seonghwa were greeting the fangirls and the boys nicely, trying not to show any impolite actions. Wooyoung and Yeosang, on the other hand, were trying to ignore the crowd trailing behind them.

Hongjoong sighs. "This may sound weird, but I pity those four kids sometimes."

"Why?" Mingi and I asked in unison.

"Look at them," Hongjoong jerked his head at Wooyoung and Yeosang, who looked uncomfortable at the fangirls screaming into their ears, "having to deal with these obnoxious fangirls 24/7. It's a nightmare, you know."

"Have you ever dealt with that?" Yunho raised an eyebrow as he slurped his noodles.

"In middle school, yes," Hongjoong nodded. "But I moved into this high school and got these," He pointed to his glasses, "I look less attractive."

"Aw come on," I nudge his arm playfully. "I'm sure there are girls out there wanting your attention."

"They're too busy flanking Wooyoung," Yunho winked knowingly at me. I sent him a quick glare before turning back to Wooyoung, who is just disappearing from the pavilion. I sigh knowingly.

"Well then," Mingi says, clapping his hands together. "Are you both done with your food? Let's get to homeroom."

Yunho and I quickly slurped the rest of our noodles and the four of us went to our lockers.

My stomach tightened with excitement and nervousness as I swung open my locker. As usual, a cupcake sits in my locker. This time, it has a rosy red icing on top of it, and another note right next to it.

Hey, you look cold and exhausted. Are you alright? Don't overwork yourself, it isn't good for you! Relax and enjoy life! >-<

~jeon woon yeon

"That Jeon Woonyeon person still sending you cupcakes and notes?" Yunho asked as he shut his locker right next to me, which used to be occupied by Hwang Jaeeun. My stomach clenched sadly at the thought of her, but I quickly erased her from my brain. I decided to answer Yunho's question.

"Yeah," I nodded, slipping the note inside a folder, filled with other letters that have been given to me for the past three years. I gently took the cupcake and chewed it, closing my locker shut.

Yunho shouldered his backpack and accompanied me to homeroom. As I chewed my cupcake, he eyed it warily.

"How do you know that thing isn't poisoned?" Yunho pointed to the cupcake suspiciously.

I laughed. "Yunho, whoever this person is has been giving me cupcakes for the past three years. I trust him enough not to poison me."

Yunho stayed silent as he blew hair away from his face. "Why did you give up trying to find out who the person is?"

I stayed silent as well. "Jaeeun," I simply said, but that one word is enough to make tears almost spring into my eyes.

Yunho panicked seeing the tears forming in my eyes and quickly whipped out a handkerchief, dabbing at my eyes. "Don't cry, don't cry, yah. You know Jaeeun is in a better place now."

I nodded and wiped the last of my tears away, and slipped into homeroom class.