chapter two

CHAPTER TWO
looks like we're the heroes now.

...

Being inside the building made it feel like a whole other world. It was clear to Lucky, now, that they had crashed into the side of the police station. Maybe that made it a little more understandable that Leon was even there.

The power was out, at least here, so they had to rely on flashlights to navigate. "Are the zombies in here, too?" She whispered. Leon sighed, glancing at her.

"Yeah. Almost everywhere, actually. But, uh... don't worry. I'm right here." Lucky knew he was only trying to reassure her anxieties, but it made butterflies fill her stomach when he smiled at her.

"Great. More things to tear us to shreds." Her voice grumbled in her throat as she limped past him. Lucky's leg still hurt like hell, but she could stand on it. She took that as an accomplishment.

Lucky could immediately tell Leon had been busy. A mangled body lay by the door, it's cranial fluids splattered across the wall behind it. And it wasn't the only dealt-with zombie in that room. "Ugh-- gross." She grunted, stepping over the first zombie's stiff legs.

"Hey." Leon said behind her. Lucky swivelled on her heel, flinching as her hair swung into her face. "I'm sorry. About your helicopter and your friends... I'll make sure we both get out of this."

Lucky smiled sadly. "Aw, that was my line... but, uh. Thank you. They weren't really my friends, but they were good people. They didn't deserve... that." A shudder ran up her spine when she remembered their screams, then the lack there of. All the blood. Lucky swiped at her damp face, imagining the lingering rain as their blood on her skin.

There was a screech somewhere close by and Lucky's whole body seemed to tense. Leon touched her elbow, nodding to the door.

"Let's get out of here, shall we?"

...

"Let me take a look at that leg." Leon helped Lucky onto a table, then ducked down to be eye-level with her injury. Marvin, the Lieutenant for the RPD, coughed and sat back on the couch. He was wounded-- most likely bitten-- and growing weaker with every passing minute.

"So... what's the FBI doing here? I mean, other than crashing helicopters into our buildings." Marvin grunted, slinging his arm over his eyes. Leon pressed his thumb against her leg, glancing at Lucky to see her reaction, then he peeled away the fabric around her wound.

"Oh, ya know... just getting massacred by the zombies here. Eaten alive. The usual." She waved a hand through the air, then dropped it onto her lap. "I'm here to fix whatever's happening... this... mess. And make sure no one else gets hurt."

Marvin nodded, but said nothing. Leon crushed the leaves of a green plant, then pressed the paste into her wound. It, strangely, felt better almost immediately. With careful hands, he quickly wrapped a bandage around the cut.

"Let's hope you make it, then. For all our sakes." Marvin fell silent again, clearly struggling with every breath. Lucky turned her attention back to Leon, who was pulling his gloves back on. He offered her a reassuring smile.

"How do we plan on getting out of here? Not through a herd of zombies, I hope." She pushed herself from the table to test her leg.