chapter twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE
yes sir.

...

"Dammit. Lucky, where are you when I need you?" Leon whispered to no one as he stepped through the vine-covered doors. The lab had clearly become overgrown as the virus implanted itself into the plant life, and now the vines rendered some parts impassable.

How could it do something like this? So... catastrophic... did Umbrella want this to get out? People would pay a lot of money for a cure. Was this all some profit-scheme gone wrong?

Leon turned a corner, and a strange gurgling noise stopped him mid-step. The hall was dark, with one small light limply hanging from the ceiling, but he could still see the dark shape stumbling into said light. Vines had sprouted from it's lanky body and now whipped around for anything to grab on to, and it's face was that of a nightmare.

Leon stumbled backwards, nose curling at the stench and the sight of it's Venus flytrap-like face snapping open and closed. "What the hell are you?" He brandished Matilda and baited the monster into the light. It gurgled, louder this time. Bloodthirsty. The light washed over it and highlighted it's grotesque features, and the pulsing yellow blobs that were stuck to it.

Leon shot one, which burst upon impact and the creature roared. He shot another and it staggered backwards. He kept shooting the blobs, which bursted into a cloud of yellow mist, until the creature fell.

"Ugh... we really need to get out of is place." He said as he picked his way around it carefully, still worried that it would grab him. The creature didn't even stir, but he wasted no time in darting into the next room. "Hold on, Lucky. I'm coming."

...

"Intruder alert. Security breached. Do not panic and remain calm, hold your positions. Intruder alert. Security breached..."

Leon's head jerked up as he registered the automated voice. He was crossing a platform that led to what he hoped was the lab room with the G-Virus and the cure, when the alarm went off. He assumed that if it was for him, he'd already be dead. So that either meant it was Ada, Lucky, or someone who wasn't either.

"All right, let's speed this up. Don't want to know what that's about." Leon whispered to himself, then he continued on. The platform led to a room that split into two sides, and one of them had canisters of things that Leon didn't understand. When he got closer, he saw that they were open.

One held a vial of green liquid, and the other held a vial of blue liquid. He grabbed both. "This'll work."

As he did so, though, red lights flashed above him. "Unauthorized removal of virus and cure samples in lab. Self-destruct precaution enabled..." He glanced at the vials in his hand, then to the red lights. Lucky was depending on him.

"Alright. Time to go."

He hurried out as fast as his feet could take him, as he didn't want to spend another minute in that godforsaken place. He just wanted to get back to Lucky and hold her, make everything feel... better.

But as he stepped closer to the door, the platform behind him shook. A gut-wrenchingly familiar noise made him stop dead in his tracks, and he spun to see the grotesque beast that had attacked Lucky all those hours ago-- now it was back to finish what it had started.