chapter seven

CHAPTER SEVEN
terminate.

...

Lucky caught a glimpse of herself in the window of some children's toy store, and could honestly say she'd looked worse. The rain was washing the worst of the dirt off and she was pretty thankful, even though she was soaked through her navy-blue FBI jacket. Her hair, recently cut to her shoulders, stuck to her face and made her resemble that of a drowned rat, but she had definitely looked worse.

Then there was the bite.

Okay, well, she wasn't entirely sure about that one. Though she was pretty sure that it was the dog's doing, not her knife. Lucky wasn't usually that careless. She didn't tell Leon because... because she didn't want him worried or scared. She didn't want him to get hurt while trying to help her.

Lucky yanked her sleeve down over the red-stained bandage and looked away from the window. She spotted Ada standing at a little ammunition and gun store nearby, arms crossed and frowning. Leon wasn't too far from Lucky.

"We can go through here... the road's out over there, and we need to get to the sewers." Ada said, jerking her thumb at the door.

Lucky curled her lip at the thought. "The sewers? Why would we go there?"

"Because that's the quickest route to Umbrella's lab. You know, the place we have to be to stop this thing?" She spoke like it was common knowledge. Of course Umbrella's lab was in a swimming pool of garbage and shit! Why wouldn't it be?

Lucky just shrugged and followed Leon. The wound on her leg was starting to act up again and was slowing her down pretty substantially, but she pretended not to notice and hoped the others didn't, either.

Of course, as she thought that, Leon glanced back and his face paled when he saw she was falling behind. He stopped and waited for her at the door, concern laced into the look on his face.

"I'm fine, Kennedy." She spoke before he even could. He wasn't convinced.

"Is it your leg? I can fix it up again if you want--"

"I said I'm fine, Leon. Don't fret over me... I'll be okay. I just have to walk it off." What she didn't tell him was that, yes, her leg was killing her and, yes, she'd love him to sit her down and help. She instead swallowed her pain and moved on.

Leon caught her arm and turned her towards him. "If you're hurting, you have to tell me. We're partners in this, Davey, and I'm not going to let you walk around in pain. At least let me look at it. To ease my mind, let's say." He insisted. Lucky defiantly glared into his bright eyes, but his concern chipped away at her wall. She caved.

"Fine. Quickly, though... I'm pretty sure Ada will leave us if we take too long. Actually, take all the time you need if that's the case." Lucky spoke quietly, shooting a glare towards the reserved woman who was currently going through the shelves.

Leon helped Lucky onto the till, then crouched down to her leg. He swiftly untied her boot, then rolled her pant leg up. "Ugh, how bad is it? Will I have to lose the leg?" She peered down at him. Leon held a pale, solemn look.

"I'm afraid so, Lucky. Just above the knee... don't scream too loud, please." He began shuffling for an item. Panic flared in Lucky's gut.