First Day of High School

In a world full of superheroes there are two that stand above the rest....

The Commander and Jetstream

His super strength makes him pretty much indestructible and she has the power of supersonic flight along with the total mastery of unarmed combat. By day they live as Steve and Josie Stronghold the top real estate agents in the Metropolis of Maxville. Whenever duty calls they are the Commander and Jetstream. Me, I have my own name for them, I call them Mom and Dad.

I along with my twin brother Will just see them as parents who save the world occasionally. While most can suspect that they are loving, supportive and fun parents most don't know that they can be quite strict sometimes and be very opinionated. Will and I both agree that we feel pressured to be just like our parents and save the world one day. What do I have to say to that? HELL NO! I honestly would rather lead a normal life with no powers than fight crime. My brother Will, on the other hand, seems to be all for fighting villains one day the only problem.... he doesn't have powers (yet). I got mine a few summers ago when Layla, Will and I were playing hide and seek. Let's just say they couldn't find me. Oh! And to make everything even worse we start our first day of superhero high school today.

"Madeline downstairs now breakfast is ready" my mom called from the bottom of the stairs.

"Coming" I yelled back. I walked out of my room to hear my dad having a talk with my brother about weights or something. I continued down the hall, walking down the stairs and into the kitchen to see Will and I's best friend and neighbor Layla. We've all been best friends since the first grade and was tradition to have breakfast together on our first day of school.

"Hey Layla" I said as I sat across from her at the table.

"Are you hungry Layla? I have eggs, bacon.." my mom said as she prepared my plate for me.

"No, thanks. You know how my mom can communicate with animals? Apparently they don't like being eaten" Layla said leaving my mom speechless

"How about juice?"

"Sure" Layla responded. My mom went to the fridge to get orange juice just as my dad walked in.

"Oh, hi Layla. Good morning Madeline" my dad said as he kissed my forehead while I ate my eggs.

"Good morning dad"

"Good morning Commander"

"Commander, huh?" My dad said. Layla motioned to the nonexistent glasses on his face.

"Oh, thanks Layla" my dad said as he sat next to me reading the morning news paper.

"I can't believe Will, and you two are starting high school. It seems like just yesterday you three were swimming naked in the kiddie pool" my said as she brought the juice over to the table to Layla.

"Mom!" whined Will before he acknowledged Layla's presence "hi Layla"

As Will sits down joining us for breakfast a cell phone starts ringing. My mom rummaged through her purse, grabbed her cell phone and answered it not realizing the phone ringing was in my dad's hand.

"Josie it's the other one" showing her the bright red flip phone ringing and lighting up.

"Here we go" I whispered to Will and Layla. My parents would retreat to their sanctum and then fly off to the site of destruction.

"Thank you, mayor" my dad said hanging up the phone. My mom and dad swiftly started to get ready to fight evil when my dad turned around.

"Madeline, Will, reminder. A lot of the kids at Sky High will only have one superhero parent, not two, so take it easy on them, huh? No showing off" my dad said before walking out of the kitchen

"Yeah sounds good dad" I said barely caring about what he said. I honestly could careless about showing off, if I had it my way I would rebel against the whole saving mankind thing. Unfortunately for me saving mankind is predestined for me. Therefore, I have to put on a good image at school and play the role as the daughter of the Commander and Jetstream.

"Oh, dad don't worry I'll keep it low key" Will said. See Will hasn't told my parents about the not having his powers yet. He's gonna have to tell them eventually and eventually most likely looks like tonight after school.

As my parents retreated to their liar, Will, Layla and I turned on the news to watch my parents kick some ass.

"There goes mom and dad again! Now we really are going to have the attention on us today" I said as I hopped off the counter and grabbed my bag.

"The attention is going to be on you two regardless" Layla said.

"C'mon we are going to be late if we don't leave now" Will said. Layla, Will and I walked out the front door to the bus stop down the road.

"Now I know it's our first day but I already can't wait to graduate and start saving mankind... and womankind... and animal kind" Layla said

"And the rainforest" Will added

"Hello kids" our neighbor said as we walked past

"Hello Mrs.Kibbitch" we all said in unison before Layla resumed her conversation.

"I just feel really good about this year" Layla said as the bus pulled up.

"Morning" the bus driver greeted us as he opened the bus doors

"Morning. Is this the bus to sky high?" Will asked

"Shhhhhhh. What are you crazy? I guess you want everyone super villain in the neighborhood to know we are here" the bus driver said as he slammed the door closed behind me.

"No, No sorry" Will faltered while trying to walk down the aisle of the bus. The bus driver,however, stopped him putting his arm and hand out.

"What's your name freshman?"

"Ahh, Will Stronghold and this is my sister Madeline and our best friend Layla" Will said

The bus driver takes a gulp. "The son and daughter of the Commander and Jetstream? Everyone it's Will and Madeline Stronghold the children of the Commander and Jetstream" the bus driver said jumping out of his seat facing all the students seated. "My name is Ron Wilson Sky High Bus driver" he said as he reached his hand out to shake each of our hands.

"If there is anything I can do to make your journey more comfortable please let me know. You two up! The seat behind Ron Wilson belongs to Will Stronghold and Madeline Stronghold"

"That's okay I'll sit in the back" I said as I squeezed between Will and the bus driver walking towards an empty seat. I didn't want special privilege, especially not on the bus.

"Hey Zack" I said as I walked closer to the back.

"Maddie what's up" Zack said.

Will and Layla made their way to the back of the bus. I sat with Layla across from Will and Zack.

"How was your summer?" Will asked Zack. I tuned out their conversation knowing Zack was going to give some idiotic response. All of the sudden the bus comes to a screeching halt and the last student gets on.

"That's everyone. Next stop Sky High" Ron said as he dramatically switches his hat and rips his badge off.

"Where are we" Layla asked as we sped down a closed road. Seat belts and lap bars dispensed from the seat pinning us to the seat.

"What the -" I said

"Hang on back there! We're going off road" Ron said. We all screamed as the bus flew through the sky.

"There she is Sky High" Ron said. As the school came into view I thought to myself "maybe this won't be so bad". As we exited the bus Ron told Will and I that we could personally call him if we were running early, late or just needed to talk. He handed us his business card.

"Thanks" Will said to Ron. We caught up to Layla and the others.