Saving Sky High

As I cried into my pillow I heard a knock on my door.

"Go away" I yelled but the voice on the other end was someone I was willing to talk to

"Maddie it's me, Will. Let me in" he said sounding defeated. I opened the door quickly ushered him in before closing it again and locking it.

"What happened to you?" Will asked

"Gwen and Lash happened" I said with a sting in my voice. "You?"

"Gwen and Layla" he said

"Stupid Lash left with another girl. Gwen just happened to see it and tell me" I said to Will

"Wait Maddie, I was with Gwen almost the whole night. That's not true" Will said making me snap up off my bed.

"Are you telling me she lied to me" I said furious with that stupid Barbie doll wannabe.

"She lied to Layla too. She told her I felt like she was holding me down as a sidekick and that I didn't want to speak to her again" Will said. "I'm gonna call her and see if she'll meet me at Paper Lantern"

"I'm going to call Lash" I said. I dialed his number and waited for him to answer but after 10 rings or so I got a voicemail. "Hey Lash. I looked for you after I changed but I couldn't find you. I ran into Gwen and she said you left with some girl but Will told me that wasn't true. Call me back when you get this"

I rolled over on my bed frustrated. I puffed trying to blow a strand of hair out of my face. I stared at the ceiling what for Lash to call me back but he didn't. I eventually fell asleep.
———
I woke up the next morning around 11 am. School was closed today in preparation for Homecoming tonight. I rolled out of bed and checked my phone. Still nothing from Lash. "It's fine I'm not going tonight" I said to myself. The rest of the day was spent in my room. I went downstairs into the sanctum to hang with Will.

"We're taking off now kids. There's still time to change your mind and come with us" my mom said dressed as Jetstream.

"Nah I don't think so" Will said. I just shook my head no.

"Hey mom, you ever feel like you messed something up so bad that you'll never be able to fix it?" Will asked my mom

"People make mistakes, Will and Madeline, that's what high schools about. Heck that's what life's about. The key is to learn from them" my mom said. Her wise words always made me feel better.

My mom handed us their old yearbook to put away. My dad was trying to sneak it under his cape hoping people would want to reminisce about the old times.

"You wanna look through it?" I asked Will.

"Sure" Will said. We sat down at the desk and flipped through the pages.

"That's weird" Will said

"What's weird?" I asked not seeing what Will saw.

"It's Gwen. In mom and dad's yearbook. She's holding the plasma gun that's right over-" Will stopped his sentence when he noticed it was gone.

"Will did you bring anyone down here?" I asked now panicked

"Uhhhh maybe Gwen but I saw her the whole time" Will said.

"Oh my god. This was the plan Speed was talking about. I have to find Lash" I said

"I have to get to Sky High" Will said. He opened his wallet to pull out Ron's business card.

"Ron. Madeline and I need a ride" Will said into the phone.

Ron not even 10 minutes later came pulling up in front of our house.