2. A Bride and a Thief

I sat beside my bedroom window, taking deep, steady breaths to calm my pounding heart. I must have fumbled around with my fingers at least a dozen times in the last five minutes, always managing to find that one imperfection on my left ring finger. How I wanted to remove it and throw it into the fires of Mount Doom, just as was done with the One Ring. This ring, I believed, was just as dangerous, for it was going to seal my fate forever and enslave me to a horrid man whose only positive trait was his wealth.

"You look beautiful," said Winnie as she entered our bedroom, no longer tripping over the hem of her dress. Why, she was nearly my height now, and so beautiful. Her freckled cheeks were a rosy pink, a constant reminder of her youth, but sometimes she was more mature than I was.

"Thank you," I answered, forcing a smile.

"You're not fooling me," she said with a dry laugh as she walked behind me and began combing through my hair with her fingers. "I know you're upset with Mother's arrangement. I am too."

"It doesn't matter anymore."

She released my hair. "Now, that's not the Anariel I know. Why, I'm surprised you haven't planned your escape by now."

"There is no escape, Winnie. I can't run from this. By this time tomorrow, my life will never be the same again."

"Not if I can help it." Turin suddenly popped his head in through the window. "Oh, Ana, I hate seeing you so depressed. We can still run away together, you know."

Winnie giggled as Turin climbed inside and hopped over me, landing on the floor with a soft thud. He paused for a second, making sure he hadn't been heard, and then proceeded to scold me. "I can't believe you're actually going through with this wedding. What happened to the girl who wanted to fight orcs, explore the Mines of Moria, and marry an elven prince?"

"She grew up," I answered, rising from my chair. "Those days are over now, Turin. Just look at the world around us."

In just eight short years, Middle-earth had fallen into darkness. While Lord Beriadan of Archet was unable to successfully take over the Shire with his first attack, he launched a second six years later, driving all the hobbits from their homes and forcing them into the mountains. Just last year, a hunting party slaughtered a settlement of dwarves for no reason at all. As for the elves, well, it was as if they'd never even existed.

"We can still change all that," Turin said, walking over to me. "It's not over yet."

"But it is." I sighed and fell back onto my chair. "It's all over."

He walked around me, and then he leaned in and whispered gently into my ear, "Then how about one last adventure? There's a place you must see. I know you'll love it."

I pulled away and looked at him with narrow, skeptical eyes. "What place?"

"You'll have to wait and see. Interested?"

I nodded my head, wondering what he'd discovered. He smirked and leapt onto the window ledge. "I'll get the horse," he called as he disappeared from sight.

Quickly, I got up from my chair, grabbed my cloak, and started toward the door, but Winnie stopped me, as she always did. "You're actually going? But we must leave soon, and you know how Mother is."

"I have enough time. I'll be back long before we depart."

Before she could delay me any further, I ran downstairs, bolted out the door, and raced to the gate. As soon as the guards saw me, they took on a very defensive stance. They always knew to be on alert when I came lurking around.

"Help!" I said, acting quickly. "I've lost my betrothal ring. You must help me find it."

The guards looked at each other and then stepped away from the gate, closely examining the ground around them. One guard was practically crawling on all fours, while the other was almost halfway across the courtyard.