23. Orcs and Elves

In Amon Hen, Frodo Baggins decided to break away from the Fellowship and face the rest of his journey alone. When Father spoke of Frodo's decision, I became so angry that I jumped right out of my bed. I would have cracked my head open on the stone floor if Father hadn't caught me.

As he tucked me in again, I said to him, "Why would he do something so foolish? He's just a hobbit. He cannot do this alone."

Father laughed and said, "Yes, he chose a hard path, but he felt it was the right path. You see, Anariel, he knew the One Ring would eventually destroy the Fellowship, just as it had done to Boromir, and he did not wish any more harm to come to those he cared for. Tell me, now do you think him a fool?"

Yes, for many years on I thought Frodo Baggins was a fool for leaving the Fellowship, and yet here I was, making a similar decision. Long after this day, if my story was ever told, I hoped I wouldn't be thought of as a fool. Like Frodo, I felt I was making the right choice.

The elf was kind enough to grant me a few moments to say goodbye. I approached Elrohir first because I knew he would most easily accept my decision. When I went to him, he tousled my hair with his fingers and gave me some rather unnecessary advice.

"The orc armor is weak at the neck and beneath the arms," he said. "They will underestimate you because you are a woman. Use this to your advantage."

"I'm not going into battle," I told him.

"Life is a battle," he replied. "Always be prepared. Never let your guard down, not even for a moment." Then he pulled me into a warm embrace and whispered into my ear, "Just promise to leave the elf for me. We have a score to settle, he and I." And when we parted, he looked right at the elf and said, "I'll be seeing you again."

The elf smirked. "For your sake, I hope not."

I moved on to Elladan then, who was far less lighthearted than his younger brother. I could see the distress in his eyes, and it hurt to know I was the source of his pain.

"You have chosen a dangerous path," he said to me, and then his gaze passed over to the yellow-eyed elf. His grey eyes narrowed in suspicion. "I do not know this elf, nor do I trust him. It is unnatural for an elf to bear that eye color, Anariel. Those are wolves' eyes, and he has tampered with a very dark power to be given such sight." Then he let out a heavy sigh and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I wish you would reconsider, but I will respect your decision. Take care, Anariel, and stay on your guard. We will not be far behind, I promise you that."

Even as we were all bunched together, Legolas had still managed to separate himself from everyone else. He had a real talent for that. Elladan and Elrohir were always close together; neither ventured far without the other. Oh, but not Legolas; he preferred solitude, it seemed. Even when he was standing right next to me, there was always a distant look in his eyes, like he was miles away, in a different time and place even. He wore that same look even as I approached him now. The different hues of blue, some light and some dark, mixed around in his wandering eyes as the memories came and went; but when he looked at me, it all settled, and he was present once more.

"You do not have to do this," he said to me. "There are other ways."

I shook my head. "This is the only way. I have already lost Turin. I couldn't bear to lose you as well, not when I could save you."

In my mind, those words were meant for the entire fellowship, for all their lives were dear to me. But in my heart, those words were reserved for Legolas alone, my childhood hero. His adventure couldn't end here. I wouldn't let it.

I undid his cloak and shrugged the weight of it off my shoulders, but when I tried to return it to the elf, he would not accept it. Instead, he took the cloak and draped it around me.