13. Lord Aemon's Hall

Led by Beinion, we passed through the gates of Lord Aemon's castle and entered the great hall. Well, to be honest, there was nothing particularly great about this hall. It had the warmth of a dungeon and smelled almost as bad. Even Erudin, a modest village, could keep a tidier hall than this riverside town. Alundor, I knew, was not poor by any means, and Lord Aemon was very respected, especially by my father, for he was one of the few noblemen able to preserve his integrity when everyone else became consumed by greed. But this was not a hall worthy of such an honorable man. He deserved fine tapestries and silver goblets, not broken windows and cracked tankards. Beinion, coming from one of the most elaborately decorated halls in the kingdom, looked absolutely disgusted to even be breathing the air, but he forced a smile when Lord Aemon appeared.

Like his hall, Lord Aemon wasn't at all like I'd pictured. He had the frame suited for a strong warrior, but the years had eaten away at him like the fungus that was feasting on his benches. Still, he had warmth, and to me, that was worth more than all the gold Beinion possessed. So let Beinion keep his ornate halls and fine jewels. Even with all the wealth of the world, he would still be the lesser man.

"Welcome travelers," Lord Aemon greeted us warmly. "I apologize for your previous accommodations. Since the last orc attack, we have had to take greater precautions to protect the town. I do hope you understand."

"Of course," Elladan replied, but his answer was joined by a curt Elvish remark from his brother. After throwing him a stern glance, Elladan went on to thank Lord Aemon for his gracious hospitality.

"It's the least I could do," he responded before setting his eyes upon me. "Anariel, my, have you grown. I was present on the day of your birth, you know. Everyone hoped you would be a boy, but your father could not have been happier to hold his baby girl in his arms. And now he has two beautiful girls. Tell me, how are your parents? Are they well?"

I managed a weak smile. "Yes, I hope so. We were separated in Archet when the orcs attacked, and I've received no word of them since, unfortunately."

He nodded his head. "Well, I'm sure they are perfectly safe. And what about you? May I ask what brings you so far from home?" As he spoke, his eyes passed across the faces of my company, undoubtedly questioning the presence of elves, though he made no comment about it.

"We are traveling to Rhûn, and I cannot say much more than that, I'm afraid."

"I see. Well, you must be on a very important quest. I'm sure your father would be most proud."

After standing unusually silent for so long, Beinion crept over to me and gently brushed a strand of hair away from my cheek. I could feel his thumbnail tracing across my skin, scratching it lightly. I wanted to pull away, but I couldn't do that in Lord Aemon's presence. I just had to bear it.

"We are all very proud of her," Beinion said, cupping my chin with his hand. "She is a fine young lady."

Slowly but subtly enough to avoid a dramatic scene, I pulled away from him and placed my focus on Lord Aemon. In rejection, Beinion maintained his calm exterior, but his anger was boiling beneath the surface. It would never boil over, though, not while he was in the public eye. No, he would never tarnish his reputation for some disobedient girl.

"You all must be exhausted," Lord Aemon went on. "Please, help yourselves to anything you desire. If you need anything, anything at all, do not hesitate to ask."

"Lord Aemon is such a gracious host," Beinion said before placing a light hand on my shoulder. "I'm sure Lady Anariel would love a warm bath and fresh clothes. After all, we cannot have her walking around in filth, can we, my lord?"

"Oh, most certainly not." He gave his servants a short glance, prompting them to come at me all at once.

There were at least six of them, all women, and they surrounded me like a pack of wolves ready to pounce on a helpless fawn. Some were taking my hands, others pushing against my back, but all were trying to lead me away from the rest of my group, and like the fawn, I struggled against them.