15: Vicenza

Vicenza emitted the same smells as Hell's Kitchen, a disgusting combination of trash and urine. The buildings seemed less sturdy than those in Passamonth, despite being only half its height. Gemma looked up to the rail bridges that littered the skies of Vicenza. The old sidewalks and musty buildings reminded Gemma of home. She made a mental note to call Naomi again tonight as she took off her rain jacket and shook off the residue water. The theater lobby was old and rickety and struggled to remain standing in the downpour. It smelled of stale popcorn and old people.

Gemma noticed Daniel, signing autographs for a few young children by the concession stand. She could not escape him even off-campus. A few feet away, Jared basked in the glory of his female admirers. Gemma followed Madison into the main hall to be seated. Madison's mom saved them a few seats near the front. She greeted Gemma with a warm hug and ushered them in. There were not enough seats for everyone, so many stood toward the back. Two rail-thin boys sat beside Madison's father. They had the same bright blue eyes and matching blue wardrobes as Madison.

There were people of all ages and races in attendance, and many looked as run down as the city they called home. The daily stresses and hassles definitely took their toll. For the first time since she arrived in Oasi, it was Gemma who felt overdressed. At school, especially within Top Tier, Gemma felt like a pleb. She was comfortable with her Tier 1 classmates but hated walking amongst the rich and beautiful of Tier 2. She was virtually a small town girl dropped in the Beverly Hills of Oasi.

The auditorium was filled with conversations ranging from food shortages in the local markets to the impending deportations affecting most of the citizens from this region. A small quartet on stage strained to be heard over the constant chatter. The music was off-key, the sound system buzzed and crackled, and the lighting was uneven and insufficient. Even the instruments looked weathered. But it was clear, The Foundation was growing and solidifying, becoming not just an organization to voice concerns, but a well-structured movement dedicated to showing all of Passemont that the ungifted were more than just janitors and fast-food workers. They could be artists, musicians, event organizers, and leaders.

A few well-respected local leaders, ungifted sympathizers, and longtime members of The Foundation filtered across the stage, echoing the concerns of the community and focusing the crowd towards the true objective of the rally: Unity. However, during a short monologue by a low-tiered gifted, the message was somewhat disturbed by a rowdy group of equally low-tiered gifted delinquents. Their gifts were nothing special, but perfect for being the greatest nuisance at an already chaotic event. Abnormally loud clapping, the ability to sound like a group of people talking at once, and extreme body odors were among a few of those abilities. After a short scuffle between the delinquents and some of the more devout members from The Foundation, they were quietly removed from the auditorium. Finally, the VIPs of the event consisting of a handful of ungifted standing members of Parliament chimed in, expressing their public support for The Foundation, and more importantly, Augusto Sylva.

The whispering faded away when a man in his late thirties walked on stage near the end of the rally. He had a charming smile, but Gemma saw the exhaustion in every step he took. She recognized him from the flyers.

"Good evening folks, thank you so much for braving the storm tonight. Before I start, I would like to thank the primary sponsor of this event- Daniel Greyson from DJ. Daniel, please come up and say a few words."

The spotlight searched the crowd until they found him in the third row to the left. Gemma watched him shake his head, desperately trying to get out of it. Augusto was adamant until Daniel got out of his chair and made his way to the stage. It was strange for Gemma to imagine him like just another person, he was rarely seen outside of Open Field. He gave the audience a nervous smile and a half-hearted wave as he ascended the stage. His jeans were well worn, with paint splashed across the ripped knees. She smiled, he was pretty cute when out of his element.

"Can you say a few words to the audience about why you chose to support the campaign?" Augusto asked, handing the microphone over.

"Uhh, hello everyone," Daniel said, clearing his throat. He paused, shuffled his feet, and cleared his throat again after gathering his thoughts. "I'm sure many of you may be surprised to see me here. Some of you may have seen my ranked matches." The thunderous cheers from the crowd supported this claim. "However, few know that I was born right here, in Vicenza. I am the only gifted person in my family. My mother worked hard every day to provide for us as a single, ungifted parent. I watched her apply every day for jobs she was more than capable of performing, but consistently looked over for a gifted person who was no more suited for the task."

He went silent for a moment, as did the room. She was holding her breath, hanging onto his every word. Daniel Greyson baring his soul in a room full of strangers was a sight to behold. She realized that despite hours they spent together this week, between classes and training, she still didn't know a single thing about him.

"We shouldn't live in a society that ignores the needs of over a third of its population. We should be measured by the strength of our character and our courage, not by a number derived from a machine created by the elite to further justify themselves." Daniel paused. "I am here because this is not the beginning of a battle between the gifted and the ungifted, but the beginning of a war for equality. And I believe there is no man better for the job of leading that war than Augusto Silvia. "

Gemma was the first to start clapping, and soon the room erupted with applause. When they made eye contact she could tell he was surprised, almost embarrassed that she was there. Augusto Silva struggled to gain control back over the crowd to present his own political speech.

"Did you know he sponsored this?" Gemma whispered to Madison.

"I had no idea."