22: The Perfect Storm

Daniel groaned, clutching the sides of his head. Flashes of memories from the people around him stabbed at his subconscious. He pressed through the crowd, searching for Beka to take his kryptonite off his hands. His eyes searched the crowd. He towards the tap on his shoulder to see the winning smile of Olivia Fox. He swallowed his inward groan.

Some would say Olivia was captain of Team Daniel. She took an interest in him from the start of his debut on the Simulation Ring scene last year. Most considered her a classic beauty, but Daniel could see past her facade. They had nothing in common. Olivia Fox was a socialite like her mother before her, but also a calculative capitalist like her father before her. She stemmed from a world he did not belong in, and he had no interest in dating the future Duchess of Foxhole.

"Daniel Greyson at a party? Now I have seen it all," Olivia said, fluttering her long eyelashes. "Where's your partner in crime?"

"Jared's around here somewhere," Daniel said, suddenly remembering that he was responsible for diverting his friend from poor life decisions- which was in no way a small feat.

Daniel sidestepped, Olivia followed.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?" Olivia asked, tilting her head and looking up at him with those mesmerizing baby blues. "Let's get a drink- or is true? You're seeing someone?"

Daniel turned, leaving the crowded ballroom in a few long strides. He didn't have time for this, between his massive migraine and the fact he just ditched his incapacitated mentee at a bar. He let out a sigh of relief when Olivia opted to stay in the party, but his solace was cut short by another altercation in the hallway.

Haruhi stood, visibly upset, with Beka, and who he assumed to be Madison, behind her. The most rational elemental he knew stood fist clenched and red in the face - unlikely from the alcohol. Haruhi's rage deadlocked on a younger girl, who shared a strong family resemblance to Haruhi minus the bright purple hair and multiple piercings.

"Baby Flynn, what are you doing here?" Beka cooed. "How did you even get in?"

"And what are you wearing?" Haruhi demanded.

The girl shrugged, eyes glued to the floor. Her floral rave bra and booty shorts that were better categorized as embellishments than apparel. Her long black hair ran down her back, braided and laced with flowers. Intricate glow in the dark, painted designs decorated her skin.

"Akiko, answer me! What would mama say if she saw you?"

"Mama's not here!" Akiko fired back.

"She's in Japan- not dead!" Haruhi hissed. "You go home right this instant."

"I can't just leave without saying bye to Zahi."

"Did he bring you here? Where is he? I want to speak to him."

"Better a Rahim than a Mangiatorvi," Beka whispered in a fruitless attempt to calm Haruhi.

"He didn't make me come, I wanted to come!" Akiko shouted. "You're so embarrassing! I can't believe we're even related."

"Akiko." Both girls turned towards the reprimanding voice. "Do not speak to your sister in that tone."

Daniel resisted the urge to roll his eyes as Hyun Min came down the hall with Jared. Daniel and Jared became friends after being assigned lab partners during their first year in secondary school. After his 'incident', only Jared bothered to visit Daniel in quarantine- thus being the only person in secondary Daniel bothered with after his release.

At university, Daniel was assigned to a quirky mentor who was more interested in antiques than him. Jared was assigned to Hyun Min, millionnaire playboy extraordinaire. Although the role was not traditionally inherited, everyone expected him to join the Bridge Brigade after his graduation to take over his father's command. Daniel watched with growing disapproval as Jared became more like Hyun Min with each day they spent together, and no doubt a huge factor in Jared's recent decision to join the brotherhood.

Akiko bowed her head as Hyun Min approached. "I apologize."

"Don't apologize to me, I'm not your sister."

Akiko glowered for a second, stiff. She slowly turned to Haruhi. "I apologize."

Haruhi nodded. The red faded from her face as she regained her composure.

"Come, I will walk you to the portal weaver outside." Akiko begrudgingly followed his lead. "Haruhi, would you like to join me?"

A bashful smile overtook Haruhi's face. Daniel grunted, not even the sensible Haruhi was immune to Hyun Min's charm.

"Yo, man, where'd you go. I turned around and you were gone," Jared said.

Daniel quickly remembered the reason for his excursion. "Beka, I found Gemma at the bar. She's pretty intoxicated. I think you girls should also take a portal home."

"Okay, you boys want to take this private party back to Sienna Villa?" Beka grinned. "Let's grab Gemma and meet Haruhi at the weaver."

"Oh good, I've been looking forward to seeing Gemma again," Jared said.

Daniel shot his best friend a death glare. The man had not shut up for a single moment since that goddamn picture was posted yesterday. In fact, Jared had already started planning the bachelor party. Daniel's eyes turned to Madison, who stood behind Beka looking like a deer in the headlights. He nudged Jared, recalling Gemma's earlier statement. "That's Madison, Gemma's roommate."

"You know my name?" Madison whispered, wide growing impossibly wider.

Jared walked over and draped an arm around Madison's shoulders. "This is gonna be great, it's the beginning of an awesome crew. I can feel it in my bones."

Daniel smirked, reentering the party scene with his 'crew' behind him. Madison looked like she was going to throw up, pass out, or both. Panic hit him in the chest as the group approached the bar, with Gemma nowhere to be found.

"I told her to stay right here," he growled. He turned to the bartender. "Did you see which way the girl I was just here with went?"

The bartender shook his head, refusing to make eye contact, focusing all his attention on scrubbing a perfectly clean wine glass. Daniel dove into the bartender's mind and retrieved the image of Ian escorting Gemma out of the side door. He gestured the group to follow him out the same way. As he opened the doors out to the royal gardens, thunder roared ominously. The group shut their eyes as the winds blew. A hurricane brewed, when minutes ago the sky was clear. Daniel pushed onwards and turned the corner of the hedges just in time to see Ian shoot off like a rocket into the sky.

Gemma laid sprawled across a bench, with the straps of her dress torn. His eyes quickly landed on Luca, who was standing mere meters from where Ian escaped. Daniel was milliseconds from landing himself in maximum-security prison when Beka threw herself in between the two aggravated men.