28: Champion

This chapter is dedicated to @porky_corky 
for her insightful help with exploring grief!

UNEDITED CHAPTER;;
Thank you for your patience on these chapter updates!

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Timothy Gruel, the president of The Foundation, was a small man with a big presence, emphasized by his animated hand gestures. His domineering voice boomed over the white noise of the Passamont crowd, yet Daniel struggled to pay attention. The two men scheduled this meeting at the Silvia rally, but so much had happened since that day. Any other week, Daniel would have been more than happy to discuss politics, especially with the election just days away. This week, his thoughts continually floated to Gemma.

The memory of her green eyes haunted him. The absence of her laugh left him cold. His apprehension grew with each hour that he didn't receive an update on her well-being. All he knew was what Hyun Min told him - she was safe.

"Daniel?"

Daniel blinked, Gruel's distinctive hooked nose came back into focus. "I'm sorry?"

"I said, what is your plan after Silvia's election."

Daniel cleared his throat, taking a sip of his black coffee. "To be honest, I hadn't thought about it."

"It's only three days away," Gruel noted, also taking a sip from his mug. "The people will not be assuaged regardless of the outcome."

"I know." Daniel nodded. "I've read about the boycott."

"You're not participating?"

Daniel gave him a dry smile. "I am currently attending Mangiatorvi University, which makes it difficult to boycott against all royal entities."

"Fair, but more and more ungifted are joining the statewide employee walkout. It would make quite the statement if you were to join them."

"Let's get to the point, Mr. Gruel," Daniel said, setting his mug on the cafe table and fixing his grey gaze on the older man. "What does the foundation want from me? Participation, or are you here for my public endorsement and funding?"

"I appreciate your candor," Gruel admitted. "We want more than your endorsement or your funding. We want you."

"What?"

"We want you to be our champion," Gruel explained. "We share similar goals, admire your natural leadership, and recognize your respected standing in the community. You have the power to bring this organization to the next level as the face of the Foundation."

Daniel frowned. Supporting the Foundation came with many more implications than supporting a singular House of Commons candidate. He was unsure whether he was ready for that level of commitment or proclamation.

"You don't have to answer immediately, we simply wanted to extend the offer." Gruel pulled out a few large bills to leave on the table for their drinks as he stood to his feet. "Sleep on it."

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

The soft sounds of classical music engulfed Luca's apartment-style dorm as he sat at his bar with a bourbon. He stared into the glass, watching the ice clink against the edges. A gentle knock, then another, broke into the rabbit hole of negative thoughts he had fallen into. Luca looked up, realizing the sound originated from his front door. He set the glass down, getting to his feet to take a look out of the peephole. He smoothed out his dress shirt and opened the door to reveal Haruhi. The frown of disgust that she regularly reserved for him was nowhere to be seen. In fact, she was practically smiling.