Chapter 3

Leah was still standing by the window, frozen at the sudden turn of events. Her grandfather had gone quiet inside his room, and Dad had taken the letters to study them more carefully, writing the reply that was to be sent in her name as he did.

She wanted to scream. What was happening? Why was her father hell-bent on kicking her out of the house, making her live with witches and wizards in some place all the way in Scotland? What had she done? And if, if, Hogwarts and magic existed, how was she supposed to fit in? By the loosest definition, she considered herself a simple human. How could simple human perform magic?

Panic swelled in her chest. No, this cannot be happening. Dad was not going to make her leave her old school and friends. Dad was not going to let her leave him. And Grandpa.

He couldn't. She wouldn't allow it.

Just as she confirmed this resolution, she heard her Grandpa's door open. Quietly, he walked out and sighed.

"Grandpa?" She said softly, making him jump.

"Leah! Oh, dear, you gave me a fright. Is everything alright?"

"Pop." She went to him and put her arms around his waist, stuffing her face in his chest.

He ran his fingers through her hair. "Everything's alright, flower-bud. It was a stupid letter. You'll be fine."

"No, I won't." Tears bubbled in her eyes. "Dad wants to send me to some magic school for the rest of the year. He's convinced that magic exists. He's making me leave home!"

His hand on her back tensed, and it was a while before he answered in a tight voice. "Which school was he talking about?"

"Hog warts or something." She wiped her nose. "Please don't let me leave - I-I don't want to leave home."

"You won't, flower-bud." He pressed his lips against her head and separated himself from her. "Now go on and have fun. Only a month before summer ends, right?"

He left her and walked towards her father's room. Leah wiped her tears and sighed. Okay, that was taken care of. Now whatever was going happen between the two of them wouldn't be her business. She'd seen Grandpa convince Dad more times than she'd like to count. She'd be fine.

As she walked downstairs, flopped back on the couch and turned on the T.V., a smile found its way back to her face.

"Fine for now." She whispered.

Boy, was she wrong.

The yelling went on until dinner time.

Leah was pacing back and forth in the living room. She could hear their voices shouting at each other, but she couldn't decipher the words. Dad's voice would yell, and Grandpa's would go quiet. Then Grandpa would yell twice as much, shushing Dad as he did so. She didn't know where their argument was going. Would she be made to leave? Or would she be here in London? Should she call Bella for support?

She chewed on her gum and looked at herself in the mirror by the door. She remembered the day of Great great Uncle Harry's funeral a year ago. She'd told herself that magic didn't exist. Now her father was telling her it was real. And her grandfather was trying to convince him it wasn't. But if Pop did believe that magic was a myth, then why had he acted so weirdly when he got the letter?

Was he afraid of it?

Leah's original train of thought stopped abruptly. She hadn't invested much of her time into thinking about magic, but she did know that it could be used in a good or bad way. Sure, most of her knowledge had come from Disney movies, but she had a basic understanding of how magic, just like every other phenomenon on earth, had a good and bad side. Was that what Pop was afraid of - the bad side of magic? No wonder he was so frightened when he got the letter! If magic could do even some of the things that she thought - heal people, bring them back to life, give them immortality - then it could even do some of the bad things like hurt or kill them. Oh, goodness, that was scary. Is that where Dad was sending her?

She shook herself and took a deep breath. Calm down, she told herself. First of all, she wasn't even sure that magic was real yet. Second, if was real, there was no way she, an average person, should be going to Hogwarts. And third, even if it was even remotely possible that she was a magical person and was going to Hogwarts, she would be supervised by many experienced witches and wizards, who would (most probably) make sure that magic was not used in a bad way.

The girl in the mirror stared into Leah's eyes. Silver as the shining droplets of thickest mist, her father said. He was so proud of the fact that she has his eyes. He'd never stop reminding her of it. It was almost annoying.

Almost.

She wouldn't admit it out loud, but she loved her father - a lot. And she knew that he did the same. She had the greatest bond with him. They had inside jokes that they would drop out of context, reducing them to rolling around in fits of laughter while the onlookers would stare at them in confusion. They shared special verbal and written codes with each other, used mostly to fool Grandpa into believing they were working but instead going out to eat at a restaurant. They would even have Fridays off where they would give up on productivity and spend the day at the mall or an amusement park. Yes, her father was the most important person in her life. She would do the best she could to make sure that he was happy.

Hopefully he'd understand that what he was asking her to do to be happy was ridiculous.

She heard the door open and slam. The air seemed still as Dad walked downstairs, breathing deeply after the fight. He stood in front of her and held out a piece of paper.

"Sign your name on this." He ordered. "As soon as he replies, we'll leave to buy your stuff for Hogwarts."

And he turned around and left.

Leah's last hopes vanished as she saw the side of her father that she rarely ever saw - the side that was so strict and strong-willed that he would do anything to accomplish his goal. And there was no backing down.

Some part of her that was aware slowly opened the letter. Her father's square handwriting stood out to her.

'Dear Headmaster Fraylighter,

Thank you for the acceptance letter. I am glad to be joining Hogwarts. I shall board the Hogwarts Express on the morning of August 31st and begin my first year as a witch.

As I have been living with a Muggle family all my life, I have had almost no experience with magic, and if and when any mistakes on my part are made, I shall accept all responsibility for them.

Once again, thank you for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime to explore the part of me that I was never able to show. I hope to see you at Hogwarts.'