Chapter 10

"Wait, so," began Leah, turning to her father. "I'm supposed to just wait by the fireplace for some dude to appear out of the fire and take me to Hogwarts through a portal in the fire?"

"In a nutshell, yeah." Said her dad, not the least bit worried about putting his daughter's life in danger. If anything, he looked amused.

"And how did you agree to this?" Leah was trying her best to keep her temper in check after yesterday, but with each new surprise came a new set of frustrated groans and a new set of questioning glares.

"It's safe, you know. If it wasn't, half of the people in the wizard world would be dead right now."

"And when did Fraylighter say the teacher was going to show up?"

"Noon." Came the swift reply.

"Great. So what am I supposed to do for the next hour?"

Dad shrugged. "Take a shower or something? Oh wait, we don't have anything to change into. Well then, I don't know."

Leah groaned again, and he glared at her again, and she apologized again.

Dad didn't let her read Fraylighter's reply, unfortunately, but did tell her that he said a teacher would be coming by the hotel to pick her up and take her to Hogwarts. The problem was that they would be travelling by Floo Powder, which, according to her father, was some sort of dust that, once dropped into the fire, would make a portal that led to a fireplace of the wanted destination.

It was scary, and, like always, her father insisted that she would do it.

The man in question was currently feasting on the breakfast he'd brought from the restaurant downstairs, occasionally glancing at his daughter who was stubborn on 'politely' ignoring him just for the satisfaction of doing so, which was a way to get rid of the anger and frustration that pounded in her head. She stared, no, glared outside the window to the wall of the building next to it, which, according to Fraylighter, had a small fireplace further inside the alley. It was a terrifying concept, stepping into fire, and she couldn't help but think of the eastern legends that told of the women who would willingly jump into a burning pyre when their husbands died in war.

That hour was not filled with the most comforting of thoughts.

"Leah," her father said suddenly, pointing to his watch. "It's time."

Anxiety made her heart sink, but she didn't say anything as she followed him outside of the hotel room and to the building, purposely making her steps small so that she could delay it as much as she wanted. Unfortunately, Dad called her out on it and she had no choice but to walk with one hand in his grasp.

They reached the end of the alleyway and stood in front of the pile of thin wood logs lit on fire. It was barely two square feet in measure, and she honestly could not imagine how her and the teacher would fit in it. She looked at her watch and waited until the big hand touched the number 12.

Immediately, she heard a loud noise similar to a gust of wind strongly blowing, and, in front of her eyes, the fire suddenly started turning a bright shade of green. And a portal formed in the center of it.

Leah barely contained a shriek as a tall human appeared out of the fire, literally standing in the flames. It was a woman, wearing a long maroon robes which had gold designs on the hem and collar, under a black travelling cloak buttoned from her neck to her waist and flowing freely near her black boots. She was broad-shouldered and looked athletic, but there was an air of studiousness in her expression and body language that said otherwise. A calm look adorned her facial features, and she smiled as she stepped out of the hearth to look at the student and her father.

"Good day." She said in an even voice. "I am Professor Evanora, and as I understand, you," she looked at her, "are Azalea Watkins, and father." She smiled at Dad, who nodded politely.

"Yes, madam, and I must apologize again for the inconvenience we have caused you that you had to come all the way to London to receive us."

"Oh, not at all." She waved her hand dismissively. "It's not that much of an inconvenience when you have Floo Powder." She held a hand out to Leah, who shook it, still looking at her with her jaw dropped.

"Let us take our leave." She said. "Wish your father goodbye, and come here so I can show you how to travel this way."

Dad scooped Leah up in a hug, but didn't say anything. They'd had this goodbye too many times - neither wanted to repeat it.

They broke the hug, and he squeezed her shoulders, saying softly, "Good luck, princess."

She smiled. "Thanks, dad. I'll send an owl soon, okay?"

He nodded, and let her go. Leah turned back to the professor who had something like grey dust in both her fist.

"Is - is that it? Floo Powder?"

Evanora smiled. "Yes, it is. Now, I'll show you how to do this only once, alright? So you better pay attention."

She put some of that powder in Leah's hand, and she could almost feel the magic emanating from it, or maybe it was just her overactive imagination. Evanora stood in front of the fire and threw the powder into the fire. It went emerald green instantly and she clearly said, "Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts." She lifted up her dress and took a long step into the fire.

And immediately vanished.

"Holy -" Leah barely contained herself as she disappeared. She felt her father's hand on her shoulder.

"Your turn." He said.

She gulped. Every nerve in her body told her to run, but her Dad was counting on her. She couldn't disappoint him twice.

She crept closer to the fire, and, with a shaky hand, held the powder over the fire herself.

"H-he," she began, but she cleared her throat, and threw it on the fire. It turned green and she managed to speak with some clarity.

"Headmaster's Office, H-Hogwarts."

A tiny hole opened, and Leah just stared at it for a couple of seconds. She took a deep breath and looked over her shoulder. She saw her father still there, a hand on his mouth, but happiness in his watery eyes. With a sad smile, she whispered, "Goodbye," and she stepped into it herself.