04

There was an exasperated laugh lost on the wind. The hint of a small grin crossing Fae's face, the cold air whipped at her skin and stung her eyes. It froze her to the bone, not a chill like ice or death, no, it was the tingle of freedom, an ice-lolly on a sweltering day, the soothing nip of rain on feverish skin, a wake up call to the sleepy. The slight, delightful blur of the environment around her as she ran. Each footstep met soggy ground surefooted and silent, it hadn't rained since the weekend, there had been a few breaks in the constant cloud cover, at least in La Push, yet the ground seemed to remain as moist as it had been before.

Her jacket billowed behind her, the plush, thick grey fabric flowed like water in the wind. Her mood wasn't utterly terrible that morning, school didn't seem as daunting now she was familiar with the layout, knew the basis of her classes and the slightest conceptualisation of her classmates and even potential friends. If one could be friends with bloodsucking creatures, that is. The wind stung the bags under her eyes, it kept her painfully awake and aware of her status as in the realm of the living and close to being late for school.

The reason, however, for Fae's good mood, despite the utter fatigue she felt in her bones and eyes, was the conclusion and victory of a near lifelong argument in the Smith household. That very morning was the mark of a new dawn, she had finally managed to outwit her mother and forced her father's hand into admitting the truth, that her mother, the modern depiction of a Roman matron, had named her after a character from her favourite film as a child, Bambi. It was not even a character from the film's central cast, though, she was named Faline, as in Bambi's love interest, girl-Bambi. How fucked was that?

She often found herself wondering about it, ever since the thought was conceptualised at the ripe age of eight, brought on with a new vigour since her call with her cousin Eira the night prior had brought her to the conclusion perhaps it was something that ran in her mother's side of the family, after all her little baby cousin, Eira's sweet new daughter, was called Rayne, as in BloodRayne franchise, as in the vampire, Rayne, it was even more ironic since they were wolfbloods too.

She held the pan of scrambled eggs hostage, strategically having taken control of both the pan and plates. She'd snarled and gone in with her line of questioning and offered breakfast as boons in exchange for confirmation and or an admittance. Her father had caved after ten minutes, with an, "Oh, admittedly, your ma' did watch Bambi and the sequels quite a few times while pregnant." and all it took was a large helping of breakfast, a mini mountain on the plate and promise of all the leftovers and extra helpings of food whenever it was her night to cook. If she knew it would have been that easy, Fae would have won it long ago.

Still, a six minute and twenty three delay to her already fairly late schedule had not led to anything real. She had taken the time to eat her food properly, instead of pulling the typical movie teenager by skipping out on a gourmet meal because they were 'running late'. Although a run through the woods would do her good. Fresh air, exercise, a good wake up call, all technically beneficial and fun, it did nothing to ease the steadily growing blossom of anxiety sprouting in her chest. Would she have to explain it in the office and get a pass, or sneak in to class and pray?

Cerridwen wouldn't mind one prayer to God or Jesus too much, could she? As long as it would avoid Fae getting in trouble. A whoop escaped her lungs as she leapt over a log, Fae winced as a small splatter of greyish-brown mud marked her light blue jeans. A caw came from above, there was a hawk flying high above her, she could make out its' large wingspan and lazy glide from the breaks of the canopy.

The teenage girl threw out her arms, wide an uncaring, as though she too could fly like the bird. A confident, casual glide and careful eyes. Soon, the treeline narrowed into almost nothing. The road was busy, near hundreds of cars seemed to both be coming and going along the road, many pulled into the car park and what felt, or at least smelt like, thousands of people seemed to stand at their cars in clusters of friend groups or on the steps by the doors.