05

That evening, as the moon revealed itself high in the sky, the wide oval of a waning gibbous instead of the wide, steady crescent shape it had been but a week prior. Fae had been sat in her room most of the afternoon, on her bed, curled beneath a fluffy blanked, steadily scratching away at the problems with her pen. It was only linear equations, it wasn't too hard, other than the fact Fae didn't feel like doing it, but alas, she had to.

The soft electrical buzz of her record player was hidden beneath the melody that was projected over it. The Lana Del Ray record she had gotten for Christmas the year prior, it had been the steady, soothing drone she could near filter out and focus with. Fae wrapped herself tighter in the dark grey fleece blanket and sat up straight. Her spine straightened with a few loud pops and a steady ache that made her shudder.

Her phone was nestled on top of the plush bedding, near forgotten except for the teenager's occasional urge to tap the screen to "check the time", meaning take a half hour break and forget about the work as she'd scroll aimlessly. A little less than two hours ago, Fae's ears had pricked up at the familiar hum of an engine, the jangling of her father's key chain in the door and the sound of the lock clicking open had reverberated through the house, up the stairs and into her own ears. Fae had shouted her greeting and they had responded with their own tired intonations.

The air was chilly, yet her spot nestled on her dinosaur quilt cover was warm. The temperature seemed to nip at her exposed forearms, nose and the sparse splatter of freckles on her face. Fae sighed as she rolled the pen between her hand.

"Of course it's a fucking graph... taking the fucking piss... is miserable." She mumbled, dropping the pen and searching aimlessly with her hand for both her pencil and ruler without looking up from the page. Her hand whacked the surface of her bed, however she did not find them. "Where is it?"

Fae sat up, her brow furrowed as her eyes scanned for the stationary. Her phone, her book, her pen and book. A hefty pile of four pillows, three blankets draped across the foot of the bed, yet the pencil and ruler had vanished. Where had they gone?

The teenager bit her lip. She lifted up blankets and rummaged through her pillows, each time it came up with nothing, the slight blossoms of aggravated frustration grew further. She wasn't in the mood for that kind of bullshit, Fae frowned, she needed to get the worst of it over and done with already, if only to move onto something less mentally taxing than graphing points and solving, like reading over her bio textbook or taking notes for ancient.