06

The momentary peace in the room was drowned out by a sudden, harsh snarl. It was low and dangerous, the sound reverberated through the floor like the strings of a guitar plucked. Fae blinked owlishly. The snarl was not loud, though the sudden registry and her hearing made it seem louder. Her nose was overwhelmed by the scent of the wolfblood.

It had followed her. It had tailed her and she did not realise. Why hadn't she smelt it before? Dark eyes locked on the people around her. Sam, one, Emily, two, Embry, three. There were two more, Jared and Paul. Sam had sent them outside. Outside where the wolf was. Oh no.

She took a sharp intake of air. Her eyes locked with Emily. The woman stepped forward and latched onto her forearm. Sam moved with her and angled himself as though he'd shield her, that was cute, she thought. Dark eyes stared into dark eyes, Emily's held a pleading look, 'don't do it!' they seemed to scream, she frowned. Did she not realise the danger? The two people out there were in danger, because of her. Emily's grip tightened, the woman already knew Fae was three seconds from doing something dumb.

Unfortunately, that meant Emily was dragged along with her as she limped out the door. Embry and Sam were both hot on their heels, they formed into a line along the porch, Jared, Paul, Embry, Fae, Emily, Sam. On the grass in the large clearing, the wolfblood. It glared menacingly with its' golden yellow eyes. They were fixated directly on her.

Fae stared back at it, mouth agape. The posture was threatening, like it had been in the shop, although there was the glint in its' eyes that it did not intend to back down as easily. She took a deep breath. It'd attack and her best bet, especially with her ankle being fucked up was to shift. It was the only way she'd stand a chance. She bit her lip. The flesh was soft between her teeth. Her heartbeat was fast, near as fast as her mind, running a million miles a minute. Given Sam was a massive wolf, and the fact there had been three others, likely the other boys, they'd understand, she reasoned, they'd understand and keep it under wraps if I shift.

Fae wiped her sweaty hands on her pants. "Someone pass me your shoes."

No one answered her, they all remained static, staring out at the wolfblood. She moved forward, suddenly, there was a hand curled around each of her arms. One was large and as warm as a fire, on her left. Embry, the other was smaller and a normal temperature, Emily. The woman cleared her throat, "Don't. Don't do this again, you'll piss it off."

"Again?"  A concerned tone interrupted.

Fae turned and shrugged at Embry in response, as if to say 'what can ya do?' before she met Emily's gaze and bit out through clenched teeth with a light sprinkle of sarcasm. She shrugged. "Would love to just leave it alone, but I think its' already pissed off."

"Fae." Sam intoned, low and with a distinct quality that implied it was an order and not a request.

"Fine. I won't." She responded, folding both arms across her chest and waited for both of the hands on her biceps to loosen. They did after a few seconds, and the teenager used the opportunity to surge forward. "I lied."