Chapter Fifteen

The next week passed in a flurry of activity as guest lists had to be drawn up, refreshments had to be decided upon, invitation cards had to be chosen and sent out, an orchestra had to be selected from a number of options, an order of dances had to be perfected, decorations had to be seen to and a menu had to be decided for those who would be dining with them before the ball.

Before Alexandra knew it, the day of the ball arrived and she dressed in an evening dress of green crepe and gold lining that was pretty against her fair complexion and hair.

She could not deny that she was nervous. After all, Richard had had to journey to London to hastily declared their engagement in the papers and the invitations had clearly specified that the ball was in honour of their engagement. She wrung her hands together nervously as she paced in the corridor outside her room, Cassie and Kit already downstairs with the Duke to await their dinner guests.

"Alexandra?" A warm voice asked in concern, and she whirled around to see Richard standing a few feet away from her, watching her with worry in his gaze. How she had not heard him approach, she had no idea. "Are you alright?"

"I'm anxious." She confessed, wondering why it was so easy to confide in him. "I'm scared of lying like this, about all of this. I know that there isn't anything to be afraid of, but I still find that I am. It's foolish and I shouldn't work myself up so much over something that does not make much sense at all, but I cannot help it! I'm afraid of being found out, I'm afraid of what might happen after, I'm afraid of everything."

She paused for a breath, and looked up to meet Richard's eyes. He did not have anything to say, but he simply held open his arms, asking a silent question. It didn't take very long for her step into his arms, throwing her arms around his neck while he held her close from the waist, his closeness enough to calm her down.

Almost hesitantly, he raised his hand and ran his fingers through her hair, which had been fastened only with a single ribbon, stroking it repeatedly as she relaxed in his embrace. Her anxiousness ceased almost immediately, but it took her a few minutes to allow herself to pull away from him, stepping out of his arms but, for some reason, unable to let go of his hand.

He did not seem to mind, for he twined his fingers loosely through hers, letting their connected hands fall casually into the space between them. Such a touch felt natural when it was with him and, not for the first time, Alexandra began to wonder whether she had allowed her faux feelings for him to develop into something real.

"Are you feeling better?" He asked softly, squeezing her hand and sending a jolt of warmth coursing through her. She nodded truthfully, and he smiled before adding. "Shall we go down, then? I am sure the others are waiting for us."

"Alright." Alexandra agreed, not waiting for him to offer his arm before slipping hers into his. He seemed a little surprised at the gesture, but smile nonetheless.

"You look beautiful." He complimented, and she hoped that the powder Priscilla had covered her face in was able to hide her blush. It probably wasn't, but Richard wasn't likely to comment on such things, anyway. He was far too kind.

"You're only saying that because you must." Alexandra brushed it off, chalking it up to him being kind to his fake fiance out of obligation.

"If that were the case, I would say it in front of other people, would I not?" He arched an eyebrow, and she was forced to concede that he was right. "Believe when I say you look beautiful tonight. You always look beautiful, but you're simply lovelier than usual tonight."

"Thank you, Richard." She managed, far too focused on beating back her annoying blush. "You look quite handsome tonight as well."

That was certainly an understatement. He looked sharp and fine in his black coat and tails with his neatly tied cravat and clean-shaven jaw. His blue eyes were shining, and he cut a fine figure even under the dim candlelight. And, since Alexandra was much less modest than many other girls she knew, she was vain enough to consider the thought that they made quite a striking couple.