Chapter Eight -- Preparations

Starla sat down between the two armchairs Seth and Kendra were lounging in and looked up at her grandfather. He'd called them in a few moments earlier. "Yes?"

"The day after tomorrow is June twenty-first," Grandpa said. Ah, thought Starla. "Do either of you know the significance of that date?"

Kendra and Seth glanced at each other before Seth said, "Your birthday?"

"The summer solstice," Grandpa corrected. "The longest day of the year. The night before is a holiday of riotous abandon for the whimsical creatures of Fablehaven. Four nights a year, the boundaries that define where different entities can venture dissolve. These nights of revelry are essential to maintaining the segregation that normally prevails here. On Midsummer Eve, the only limits to where any creature can roam and work mischief are the walls of this house. Unless invited, they cannot enter."

"Midsummer Eve is tomorrow night?" Seth said.

"I did not want to leave you time to fret over it. As long as you obey my instructions, the night will pass without incident. It will be loud, but you will be safe."

"What other days do they run wild?" Kendra asked nervously.

"The winter solstice and the two equinoxes. Midsummer Eve tends to be the rowdiest of them all," Grandpa said.

"Can we watch out the windows?" Seth asked eagerly.

"No!" Starla and Grandpa chourused, Starla sounding alarmed and Grandpa's tone stern.

"You would not enjoy what you saw," Grandpa said. "On festival nights, nightmares take shape and patrol the yard. Ancient entities of supreme evil patrol the darkness in search of prey. You will be in bed at sundown. You will wear earplugs. And you will not arise until sunrise despels the horrors of the night."

"Even I don't look out the window," Starla said sharply to Seth. She shivered.

"Should we sleep in your room?" Kendra asked.

"The attic playroom is the safest place in the house. Extra protections have been placed on it as a sanctuary for children. Even if, by some misfortune, unsavory creatures entered the house, your room would remain secure. Starla will be joining you this time, which will add to the defenses."

"Has anything ever gotten into the house?" Seth said.

"Nothing unwanted has breached these homestead walls," Grandpa assured them. "Still, we can never be too careful. Tomorrow you will help prepare some defenses to afford us an extra layer of protection. Because of the recent uproar with the fairies-" he glanced at Starla, and she knew he would hide Shiara's warning from her cousins "-I fear this could be a particularly chaotic Midsummer Eve."

--------------

Starla followed Seth and Dale through the woods to the garden, where Hugo was supposed to be harvesting alfalfa. Seth was peppering Dale with questions about Midsummer Eve, but to Starla's relief, he refused to answer them.

Finally Dale said, "Smart people learn from their mistakes, Seth. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others. Don't pout; you're about to see something impressive. And it won't even give you nightmares."

"What?" Seth asked. Starla smiled.

"See where the road goes over the rise?"

"Yeah...."

"The surprise is on the far side."

"You're sure?"

"We put him there," Starla interjected.