Chapter Sixteen -- Farewell

Starla brought the axe down onto the log, chopping it in half. Dale helped in silence, attacking the wood almost aggressively.

"Dale," Starla said anxiously, "I'm really sorry."

Dale shrugged but said nothing, bringing his axe down furiously.

"I promise we'll find another way to save Warren," Starla told him.

"The fairies were the only way we know how," Dale snapped, making Starla flinch. He saw this and took a breath. "Sorry. I know you would have restored him if you'd remembered."

"Once we find out how he became catatonic," Starla said, "we'll be able to find a way to fix him. I promise."

Dale smiled weakly in return. At least he was smiling.

A rumbling noise made Starla turn. Hugo emerged from the forest, pulling the rickshaw cart behind him, with Grandfather and Kendra inside. She no longer had the bowl, so Starla assumed she'd given it back to the Fairy Queen.

"Hugo, stop," said Stan. The golem halted at once. Then Grandfather turned. "Starla, come back with us. We have some thing to tell you."

"Coming," Starla called back, setting down the axe. "See you later, Dale."

Dale nodded, and Starla ran up to the wagon, leaping gracefully inside.

"What is it?" Starla asked, settling beside Kendra.

"Hugo, return to the house," Stan said. As the cart began moving forward again, he said, "Your grandmother and I have decided that you need to go to public school."

Starla blinked at him in surprise.

"Maria and Scott have agreed to take you in, as long as we pay your school fees," Grandfather said, smiling. "You'll go to the same school as Kendra, although you'll be a sophomore."

Kendra squealed. "Really?"

"That's wonderful," Starla said worriedly, "but what about the preserve? My training?"

"You've learned everything you need to in that area," Grandfather chuckled. "But we can't really homeschool you anymore. We need to find... something, and we'll be putting all our efforts into that." He glanced at Kendra, and Starla nodded in understanding. "So we're sending you home with your cousins."

"All right." Starla smiled.

Hugo stopped at the edge of the yard, and Starla leaped out again. When the other two were out of the cart, Grandfather said, "Hugo, see to your chores."

As the golem left, Kendra turned to them. "I'm going to miss this place."

"Your grandmother, cousin and I have waited a long time to find somebody like you among our family," said Grandfather. "Trust me. You'll be back.

-----------------

"Starla, Kendra," Grandmother called up the stairs. "They're here!"

"We'll be right down," Starla called back. "Kendra, would you like me to carry your suitcase or the painting?"

"Painting," Kendra decided. "It's lighter."

"All right." Starla picked up the gorgeous painting of the naiad pond, feeling a pang of grief as she did so.

They were interrupted by a tapping on the window. Starla looked over and saw a blur of fiery-red.

"Embrous!" She went over and opened the window.

Embrous settled on the windowsill. "You're leaving." He looked worried.

"I'll see you next summer," Starla promised. "Why are you upset?"

"I'm... not." Embrous looked down at his bird feet.

"Yes, you are." Starla laid a gentle hand on his back, and Embrous looked up in surprise. "You're a good friend. Hopefully Seth will listen to you," she joked.

Embrous and Kendra laughed, and Starla lowered her hand.

"I will see you next summer, then," the phoenix smiled, spreading his wings. "Farewell, Lady Starla, Kendra."

"Bye, Embrous," said Kendra. Starla dipped her head.

The bird soared off the window, and Starla and Kendra went downstairs.

Marie and Scott were standing in the doorway, talking with Grandma. Seth stood next to his father, carrying his painting of the dragon.

"You did a painting, too!" Marie exclaimed when she saw it. "Kendra, it's gorgeous."

"I had help," Kendra smiled, glancing at Starla. "How was the cruise?"

"We made a lot of memories," her mother laughed.

"Looks like Dad ate plenty of snails," Seth smirked.

"Nobody warned me about the desserts," Scott chuckled.

"You two ready?" Marie asked, putting an arm around Kendra.

"Yes," Starla replied, and Kendra nodded.

"We're excited for you to visit us," Scott said, smiling at Starla.

"Me, too."

"We should probably get going," said Scott, glancing at his watch.

Dale was loading the last of the bags into the trunk of the SUV, including Starla's rather large one. Starla had hidden her sword in it as well, just in case.

"Thank you so much for taking Seth and Kendra," Marie said as Starla handed Kendra the painting.

"It was our pleasure," Grandma said earnestly.

"You'll have to let them visit again sometime soon," Grandfather said.

Kendra and Seth agreed profusely. Then Starla and her cousins hugged their grandparents goodbye and climbed into the car.

"You kids have a good time?" Scott asked as he started the car.

"Yeah," Seth grinned.

"Amazing," said Kendra.

"Remember how worried you were when we dropped you off?" Mom asked. "I bet it wasn't half as scary as you imagined."

Starla shared a very special look with Kendra.