Chapter Thirteen -- Not According to Plan... Again

Starla, with Embrous clinging to her shoulder, was riding with Kendra, Seth, and Ruth in the rickshaw wagon as Hugo pulled them down the rocky path to the Forgotten Chapel. The road was bumpy and dim, as sunset was almost upon them.

Grandmother had been disappointed but understanding when Starla told her that Drake couldn't help. Kendra had asked why, and Starla had told her that Drake's missions couldn't be discussed out in the open. But they were extremely important; his powers and talent in spying made him one of the most important Knights in existence.

Seth and Grandmother had a bag of magic dust that would act like the salt from the bedroom. Starla, of course, had her magic sword and the bow and arrows the brownies had just made. Kendra, who hadn't used magic or caused mischief at all, was empty-handed; Starla was keeping her dagger just in case. The protections from the treaty would be enough for Kendra, who was the most innocent on the cart.

The wagon jumped over a particularly rough spot, and Seth almost fell overboard. Starla seized the back of his camouflage shirt and pulled him back in. He grinned at them. "We're hauling!"

Embrous smiled a bit, but then he looked grim. Kendra looked pale.

After another five minutes, Ruth straightened and pointed into the approaching clearing.

Starla had never seen the Forgotten Chapel, as she hadn't needed to on her rounds with Grandfather. It was an old-fashioned, boxy structure, with a row of large, broken windows and a cupola with a bell. The roof was sagging, and the walls were splintered and gray. A short flight of moldy, broken stairs led to a gap, where double doors had once stood.

Hugo halted in front of the shadowy doorway.

"Creepy," Seth remarked.

"I cannot enter," Embrous said quietly. "The demon's aura would render me useless, and my task is to defend and lead all creatures, dark or light."

Ruth nodded as Starla shot Seth a quelling look; her cousin had looked confused and annoyed.

"I will wait outside," the phoenix said, and he flapped to the edge of the clearing, perching on a branch.

"Let's go," said Grandmother, and she climbed out of the cart. "Come."

Starla leaped out of the wagon, landing on her white, armored boots.

(This is the closest image to Starla's armor! Ignore the spiky thing on her shoulder, and the ax; the sword is attached to her hip, and the armor's not so jagged.)

"I'd rather have the sun," said Grandmother, as she armed her crossbow, "but at least we still have some light

"I'd rather have the sun," said Grandmother, as she armed her crossbow, "but at least we still have some light. Let's get this over with as soon as we can. Evil likes darkness."

"Why is that?" asked Seth.

"Because evil likes to hide."

Kendra shivered. "Why don't we talk about happy things?" she asked as she and Seth climbed down from the wagon.