Chapter 1

|| Chapter 1 ||

Greenleaf had finally settled its warm whisker-like rays over the territories. Within the shadow-covered depths of the thick pine forest, lizards crawled over the trees and frogs sprang into small, trickling streams or splashed into puddles. Crickets chirped here and there, but otherwise the silence stretched out over the woods. The breezes pulled and pushed at the trees as they began their whispers, as if telling of gossip as they passed on what the ShadowClan cats were doing in camp today. Within the slight bowl-shaped camp, their walls made up of short cliffs of little slopes, some of the warriors were organizing a hunting patrol, a couple apprentices collecting with them as they reviewed the goals for the day's hunt. The apprentices that were on their break time were playing around, a few of the kits joining or watching the older young ones with admiration. Several of which were being made apprentices themselves, sitting off beside the nursery.

The pine trees stood tall around their home, casting shadows over most of the camp at this hour of the morning. The dens had ben dug into on the faces of these overhangs, likely the work of foxes or badgers generations ago. Only a few paces away from the nursery, a dark Bengal kit was being groomed incessantly by his mother. As of late, Thornthroat was nowhere to be seen around the den. The moment she was able to leave the nursery, the glory-hungry warrior did so. Often times even before she was supposed to, she'd leave to pick up on some warrior duties. Another black-pelted kitten was crouched in the mouth of the queens' and kits' resting space, watching the cats outside. Beyond the apprentices and other kits, there were warriors padding around, many of which were on the large side. A pair on the other side of camp padded by, chatting and exchanging a laugh. Another's stern voice carried over as they beckoned on the names of young warriors and their figures hurried across the clearing. The outside world where kits weren't allowed to go due to all the dangers, but a place she'd been.

Suppressing a shudder at the thought, the she-kit turned her head to the left. She took a couple paw-steps out further, stretching her front end forwards along with her neck to eye the log at the north side. It was positioned in a crooked diagonal, the space beneath forming the leader's den. Some moss and vines draped over part of it to create some privacy there, while he'd often use the topside for meetings. In which, he was about to call for one, as made apparent by the elders, queens, and some warriors that had collected off to the sides. They were gossiping quietly amongst one another, but the crowd was already beginning to grow as it was nearing the time. And the kitten became very consumed by this. There's so many, she thought nervously and gulped.

"Oh, Nightkit, where's your mother gone off to?" The kitten jumped in surprise and whirled around to see a smoky gray she-cat hurrying over with quick, darker legs and white paws. She had a dark mask, a lighter chest and underbelly, and the warrior's long, fluffy fur had a slight bounce to it as she moved, and her concerned yellow eyes widened upon taking in the kit's appearance more closely. "Nevermind her, your poor coat is all ruffled and dirty! What have you been doing, playing in the dust?" As she began to quickly groom the kit, she heard a quiet snicker nearby. Nightkit looked over, losing her footing briefly from Moonstep's grooming, and found Cinderpaw watching with a little amusement. The apprentice, just four moons older, had briefly been in the nursery with her. Beyond that, she'd seen him here and there in camp. She always knew him to be more of a grump in a way, so to see him laughing at her was both of a shock and more-so irritating.

"What're you laughing at," she grumbled and flattened her ears, pouting and looking away as she felt her pelt suddenly feel hot.

"Oh, don't mind him. My son's got ticks up his tail," Moonstep teased.

Cinderpaw immediately dropped his amusement and glared at his mother, his pelt bushing up. "I do not—!"

"Hush, Cinderpaw – I adore you as my kit but making up reason for why you're such a stinker makes me feel better," she purred jokingly. As the apprentice retorted back at her again, Nightkit giggled quietly to herself. Her pelt had been slicked down and the dusty soil clinging to her pelt removed. Watching their interaction was highly entertaining her, but the she-kit couldn't help but wonder something. Why was their relationship so...different? Moonstep may have sassed Cinderpaw every now and then, but it was nothing like what Nightkit got from her mother. She always saw a warm look in Moonstep's eyes whenever the pretty warrior looked at her son. What was that?